[ontology-summit] {resources} Capturing & sharing references via the Com

To: Ontology Summit discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Amanda Vizedom <amanda.vizedom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 16:51:27 -0500
All,

The purpose of this message is to kick-start community contribution to our Community Library.[1]  Now that folks have gotten going a bit, discussing the summit topics and sharing relevant resources with each other, we would like to capture those shared resources for continued sharing and reference. Really, any kind of resources, including not only papers & such but also tools, projects, and anything else of use and interest, especially if there is a URL at which further information can be found.

The Library itself is hosted here: https://www.zotero.org/groups/ontologysummit2014/items/ and powered by Zotero open-source, free software for reference management.

The most effective way to capture the shared references is via a distributed effort by the sharers: when sharing a reference in discussion (via email, chat, presentation, or however), please also add it to the library! [2] This can mean adding bibliographic information, a URL and/or a document copy (if public domain) or website snapshot (Zotero can be used to do this automatically).

So here's what we're asking you to do:

1. Go to zotero.org and register for a zotero account.

2.  Join the OntologySummit2014 Group:  Login to zotero & go to https://www.zotero.org/groups/ontologysummit2014
Find the red "join group" button and click it. That will send an approval request to the library admins. If your zotero username is not obviously mapable to your real name, please also send me a message, either inside zotero, by clicking on the group owner user name and choosing "send message", or by regular email, so I can confirm that the request is from summit participant. You will be approved shortly!

3. Go to the group library at https://www.zotero.org/groups/ontologysummit2014/items (or click the "Group Library" hyperlink toward the bottom left of the group home). You can browse, search, add, and edit the library from this view.

4. Add references as they come up! If you think of something related to the summit topic that the group would benefit from knowing about, add it!

There are a number of ways to use Zotero (via the web site directly; as a browser plug-in or extension, depending on your preferred browser, and/or as a stand-alone desktop app). Each of these interfaces has slightly different capabilities, advantages and disadvantages. Any of them, however, will enable you to add basic reference information.

If you have trouble with any of these steps, have question, comments, etc., feel free to contact me and/or use the Community Resources discussion page on the wiki.[3]

Finally, for those who can't or really, really, really don't want to use zotero, we[4] will add references for you. We don't want to lose your contributions into the ether, and we know that using zotero is more of a hassle for some people than for others. If you are sharing a reference with the group and need someone else to do the library part, make a note to that effect or call it to my attention.

Enjoy the library, and thanks!

Best,
Amanda

---------

[1] A brief description of the Community Library is at http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2014_CommunityResources#nid43FX, An even shorter introduction of the library was presented during our brief presentation of the Community Resources track, during the summit Launch Event on 16 January.

[2] The plan for capturing this developing the community library is at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2014_CommunityResources#nid43GS

[4] At the moment, the "we" who will be doing the reference follow-up is actually just me.  Any volunteers to take on some of this duty are most welcome! From experience, I know that it becomes quite difficult for a single person to do all the reference gathering, in part because simply keep track of all the great references being shared is quite difficult. So, I hope that as many people as possible will join the zotero group and contribute directly.