Re: [ontology-summit] [Bottlenecks] Identifying Bottlenecks in Ontology

To: dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx, ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Quentin Reul <Quentin.H.Reul@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 09:41:55 -0600
Hi Matthew,

I work as a Content Semantics architect at Wolters Kluwer, where we are developing ontologies to represent documents and their metadata. As part of this work, I have experienced difficulties (or bottlenecks) in the application of ontologies.

Please find attached my answers to your questions:
  • What is it that takes a lot of time and effort? There are 2 tasks that are rather time-consuming; (i) the extraction of the knowledge from Subject-Matter experts (SMEs), and (ii) the explanation of the model to developers using it.
  • What is it that is very expensive? The extraction of the knowledge is expensive as most SMEs have a "ideal" vision of what their knowledge is and tend to differ from the actions / reasoning they actually use. For instance, doctors will answer questions theoretically when their reasoning while consulting patients tend to be different.
  • What is it that is held up because of a lack of scarce resources? I am not quite sure what you refer to as "scarce resources"
  • Why is it that ontological approaches are not taken when they could/should be? Time constraint on the delivery of the ontological artifacts mean that the model and its implementation are generally not separated.

Kind regards,

Quentin Reul

has as its topic: "Big Data and Semantic Web Meet Applied Ontology".

Track C of the programme is: "Overcoming Ontology Engineering Bottlenecks"

http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2014_Overcoming_Ontolo
gy_Engineering_Bottlenecks_Synthesis

So to kick Track C off, we would like to invite you to help us identify the
key bottlenecks in ontology engineering for Big Data and the Semantic Web.

-          What is it that takes a lot of time and effort?

-          What is it that is very expensive?

-          What is it that is held up because of a lack of scarce resources?

-          Why is it that ontological approaches are not taken when they
could/should be?

Please let us know on this thread, and/or add to our community input page:

http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?action="">
<
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?action="">
vercoming_Ontology_Engineering_Bottlenecks_CommunityInput>
&id=OntologySummit2014_Overcoming_Ontology_Engineering_Bottlenecks_Community
Input

Regards

Matthew West, Pascal Hitzler, Krzysztof Janowicz

Track C Co-Champions