[ontology-summit] Project (HC-06): ISO 15926 Reference Data Validation

To: ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Victor Agroskin <vic5784@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 02:40:03 +0400
Here are the latest plans for Project (HC-06): ISO 15926 Reference
Data Validation    (01)

A. Project schedule:    (02)

We plan to gather Moscow teams of project participants on Sat
2013.03.30 at 2:00pm Moscow / 11:00am CET / 10:00 UTC.    (03)

At this time we'll open communication infrastructure of the project
from our Moscow office for preliminary discussions and planning (we
propose Skype for voice and Mikogo http://www.mikogo.com/ for screen
sharing). Everyone is welcome to join from this time on, just let me
know your Skype contact - I'm vic5784 there.    (04)

Starting 5:00am PDT / 8:00am EDT / 4:00pm MSK / 1:00pm CET / 12:00 UTC
we'll have approximately 1 h. 45 min. open session with expert panel
(to be announced by Summit organisers later).    (05)

We'll work for some 5-6 hours, after that we will make a break for 1
hour (in Moscow) and will be ready to continue work from our homes if
team members wish so, or if new people from other time zones join us.    (06)

Project continuation on Sat 2013.04.06 will be discussed later.    (07)

B. General work cycle:    (08)

Our proposal is to do work in short iterations within the loop:    (09)

1. Selection of a Test or a Metric (we hope to prepare initial list
before the start of the meeting).    (010)

2. Short presentation of a Test or a Metrics from the most competent
participant (should be prepared in advance, I think?).    (011)

3. Discussion of its application to ISO 15926 upper ontology or
reference data, suitable algorithm and tools (software environments)
selection. We'll always try to do each Test or Metric in at least two
environments - to compare results and get better understanding of tool
applicability.    (012)

4. Implementation (performed concurrently if several tools/software
environments selected).    (013)

5. Test on real data, discussion of results.    (014)

6. Preliminary documenting of results (errors, inconsistencies, metric
values, etc).    (015)

7. Go to (1) .    (016)

If only one team team takes  implementation of some Test or Metric,
steps 1-3 can be performed in a loop until all people/teams capable to
do implementation have some task assigned.    (017)

Final documentation and packaging of results, suggestions and useful
code snippets for presentation to ISO 15926 community and to JORD
project will be done after the main event. We (TechInvestLab.ru) are
ready to do the job.    (018)

C. Collaborators:    (019)

TechInvestLab.ru team (distributed between Moscow and St.Petersburg)
will work using the .15926 Platform tools.    (020)

AgentLab team http://agentlab.blogspot.ru with their own Eclipse-based
modelling toolset.    (021)

Talks are in progress with one more Russian team with advanced
knowledge of ISO 15926.    (022)

We'll welcome all collaborators with generic or specialized tools to
work with ontologies and/or SW data.    (023)

We'll welcome anyone willing to discuss ontology and reference data
Tests or Metrics, validation methodologies and algorithms.    (024)

D. Ontology data sources:    (025)

Upper ontology of the ISO 15926 is publicly available as several OWL
representations of various aspects of ISO 15926-2 at:    (026)

    http://rds.posccaesar.org/2008/02/OWL/ISO-15926-2_2003, 221 kB
    http://rds.posccaesar.org/2008/07/OWL/ISO-15926-2_2003_annotations, 110 kB
    http://rds.posccaesar.org/2008/07/OWL/ISO-15926-2_2003_entityMembership,
26 kB    (027)

http://rds.posccaesar.org/2008/07/OWL/ISO-15926-2_2003_entityMembershipCandidates,
14 kB
    http://rds.posccaesar.org/2008/09/OWL/ISO-15926-2_2003_inverseRoles, 16 kB
    http://rds.posccaesar.org/2008/09/OWL/ISO-15926-2_2003_chainedRoles, 38 kB    (028)

see https://www.posccaesar.org/wiki/ISO15926inOWL for more details    (029)

JORD Reference Data Library is available as a reference data service:    (030)

    the human browser access & query page is http://posccaesar.org/endpoint/
    the SPARQL endpoint is http://posccaesar.org/endpoint/sparql    (031)

A snapshot file with full content of an endpoint is available for download at:    (032)

    http://rds.posccaesar.org/downloads/PCA-RDL.owl.zip    (033)

E. Initial task list:    (034)

Several methodologies of ontology quality metrics were presented in
the Summit  (like OntoClean, OQuaRE or OntoQA). We hope to get advise
and help for some of them from project collaborators or expert panel,
allowing project participants to work toward implementation of these
metrics for ISO 15926 data.    (035)

We (TechInvestLab.ru) can suggest several Tests to perform on ISO
15926 upper ontology and/or reference data:    (036)

a) Verification of upper ontology (currently distributed between 6 OWL
files). This representation is heavily criticised and a new effort to
do a standard representation in OWL 2 is currently suggested to ISO.
The list of problems detections and suggestions for improvement will
be of great value to the community.    (037)

b) Reference data compliance to upper ontology. There are many
requirements to reference data library content coming from ontology
restrictions: abstract classes and disjoint classes, mandatory
relationships (properties), membership relations between classes of
classes and classes, etc. Simple scripts to find most common mistakes
can be found in the documentation to .15926 Editor (section 6.4).    (038)

c) Filling gaps in entities and relations. This effort can be based on
methods outlined in
http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/OntologySummit2013/2013-03-07_OntologySummit2013_OntologyEvaluation-IntrinsicAspects-2/OntologySummit2013_debugging_is-a_structure--PatrickLambrix_20130307.pdf
and it'll be great if this team will be convinced to join our project.
In ISO 15926 reference data libraries classes of individuals, classes
of classes and classes of relationships can be viewed as corresponding
taxonomy systems, thus suggestions  for missing members in these
taxonomies can be deduced from the existing correspondence relations.    (039)

F. Questions to participants:    (040)

1. Please suggest Tests and especially Metrics - our knowledge of
these comes only from the Summit materials.    (041)

2. Please indicate your readiness to apply your tools to the tasks
identified in the project (or suggested by you). If some initial
introduction to data or its transformation are required - notify us in
advance, we can discuss it together, by email or by arranging a
preparation call.    (042)

3. If you are interested to work in Python data exploration
environment of .15926 Editor - please take a look (download from
http://techinvestlab.ru/dot15926Editor ) and ask questions before the event.    (043)

Sincerely,
Victor Agroskin
TechInvestLab.ru    (044)