Re: [ontology-summit] Hackathon: BACnet Ontology

To: Ontology Summit 2013 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Barkmeyer, Edward J" <edward.barkmeyer@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 17:50:48 -0400
David,
    (01)

Upon reflection, I see what you mean, and I agree in part.  The theoretical
model of a space of states is elegant, and it is probably better than the
simple idea of a curve.  BUT from a philosophical ontology point of view,
'states of WHAT?'.  The problem is that we only model some properties of the
thing, when in its changes of state many other properties may also change.  So
each of these measured points in the space is a partial characterization of a
state:  specifically, the state projected onto exactly those property axes.
That is importantly different from the IDEAS notion of a thing-state in 4D.
Further, these projections only show correlations.  We don't know how many
actual states are projected onto the same point.  We only know that some
measurements of a thing in some state produced these values (ignoring the
possibility of Heisenberg effects).  Finally, whereas the idea of using a
mathematical algorithm to interpolate and flesh out a curve in a measure space
is mathematically clear, it is not clear what interpolation might mean with
respect to states of a thing.  The interpolation you describe simply produces
new points in the mathematical space -- there is no way to know whether there
are or could be any real states of objects that are projected onto these
theoretical points.
    (02)

We should also note that while the (geometrical) projection space has a
topology, as you point out, there is no real way to know what the topology of
the actual thing-state space might be like.  As engineers, we presume that many
such functions are continuous and we draw curves, but the reality might be
discontinuous, in the sense that some theoretical states necessary to the
mathematical continuity might not actually "occur in nature".  Most
importantly, we don't really care that the actual state space is continuous.
We only use the mathematical model to predict the approximate properties of
whatever actual states are projected into that neighborhood.
    (03)

So, I can agree that the theoretical model you present is more elegant, but the
points in your model of the property space are also "not the fundamental
objects, but instead artefacts created to present data."  They are just
somewhat different mathematical artefacts.
    (04)

-Ed
    (05)

    (06)