Re: [ontology-summit] [ontolog-forum] {quality-methodology} Architectura

To: steve.ray@xxxxxxxxxx, 'Ontology Summit 2013 discussion' <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Eric BEAUSSART <eric.beaussart@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 22:13:14 +0100 (CET)
Steve,

Did you ever practice experimental sciences ?
Allright, no one can reach the "Absolute Zero", the "Perfect Emptiness" and so on !
No experimental "curve" with real values will follow the "Perfect Gaz" characteristics !
No ! I don't make confusion between "Goal" and Reality !
But If you just follow "empirical" and "practical" ways, be sure you will make some
engineering, but no Science !
But probably you just want to be an honnest "artisan" !
Bye !

> Message du 19/02/13 21:51
> De : "Steve Ray"
> A : "'Eric BEAUSSART'" , "'Ontology Summit 2013 discussion'"
> Copie à :
> Objet : RE: [ontology-summit] [ontolog-forum] {quality-methodology} Architectural considerations in Ontology Development - integration, reasoning, and some particulars about Cyc

Eric,

            Hans’ point that I was agreeing with was that an ontology cannot be context-free. The best it can do is to be explicit about what the assumptions are (i.e. context), which is what Michael Gruninger was calling semantic transparency. So context-free is not a condition for semantic transparency, it is an alternative, and one that can’t be achieved.

- Steve

Steven R. Ray, Ph.D.

Distinguished Research Fellow

Carnegie Mellon University