Re: [ontology-summit] {software-environment} Feedback on software capabi

To: Ontology Summit 2013 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Bob Smith <bobsmithttl@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2013 13:13:11 -0800
Hello Mike -

Ontology Editors and tools have evolved and will continue to evolve...

The Price and availability for medium and small sized organizations and standards development organizations is an important issue.

I am currently involved with the Architects - Engineers - Contractors effort at the National Institute of Building Science to use ontology editing tools or even topic maps as we define terms and relationships between terms.

We have a huge investment in "Life Cycle Phases" and physical document hand-overs, while attempting to become digital and web friendly (while failing to directly address XML and related langages).

So there is a facet of your survey dealing with an ontology tool's ability to leverage collaboration across domains and institutional gaps which is too implicit.

How "Main Stream" is the tool today? Does it play well with Cloud Computing Strategies and Agile-Lean development?

Is it (the tool) compatible with the features that MITRE developed in their 107 page document for Teri Takai - CIO of the DoD? Especially Appendix B - comparing two paradigms.

Handbook for Implementing Agile in Department of Defense Information
Technology Acquisition

Thanks,

Bob

Bob Smith, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus - CSU
building SMART alliance Term Definition Committee