Re: [ontology-summit] Track B Mission Statement -- Clarification

To: Ontology Summit 2013 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ontology-summit-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Todd J Schneider <todd.schneider@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 12:47:47 -0500

Megan,

> I was hoping to get some clarification on the following points:
>
> Part of the Mission Statement for Track B refers to behaviors that
> are "...controlled or influence by an ontology."

> What does it mean for an ontology to "influence" behaviour?

--->>> An example of an ontology (and it's instance data) 'influencing'
       a system might be control of network routers or switches. Depending
       on conditions, and actions represented, the control may execute
       changes to routing tables.

> It also states that:
> "The ontology in question may be fully embedded/encapsulated within
> an entity or system,...."

> Exactly what is meant by this?  Does this refer to a situation where
> the ontology, as a set of axioms, does not exist and is only
> implicitly represented (i.e. embedded) in the system?  Or, does this
> refer to a situation where the ontology is built into a system and
> not easily accessible for isolated evaluation?

--->>> Our intention was/is the latter. One or more ontologies and their
       instance data are part of a system. Of course we don't mean to
       exclude the situation where the system is the ontology, but use
       of ontologies is much larger.

> In the former case,
> do language-specific issues (e.g. FOL vs OWL) become irrelevant?

--->>> Maybe not. The problem is how these language specific issues
       manifest themselves in the context of blackbox evaluation. One
       possibility is the range of queries that could be made.

Todd