Re: [ontology-summit] Reasoners and the life cycle

To: Ontology Summit 2012 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 13:11:27 -0500
Alan,    (01)

I believe we agree on the issues about current systems.    (02)

AR
> ... my concern that, if we are discussing the "ontology life cycle",
> the issues of dealing with any transformation, compilation, or inference
> step be included, whether the step uses DL reasoners or something else.    (03)

I agree.  But my claim is that good tools can revolutionize the
"ontology life cycle".  At our VivoMind company, for example, we
generate a proto-ontology directly from documents written by experts
in the field.  If standardized terminologies are available, we include
them in the mix.    (04)

But the domain experts (SMEs) don't think in terms of separate steps
of transformation, compilation, and inference.  Instead, they know
that when they flag some result as questionable, the system traces
the steps that led to the result and helps them correct the ontology
from which it was derived.    (05)

I admit that these tools are still in the experimental stage, but
we have used them for deployed applications.    (06)

I'll quote the concluding sentence of the following note:    (07)

JFS
> It's a lot cheaper to put some R & D money into developing better
> tools than to train domain experts to become knowledge engineers.    (08)

And by the way, I don't want to look like I'm just badmouthing OWL,
but the OWL restriction to tree-structured models is not helpful.
It makes the logic much more quirky with too many restrictions.
That is an obstacle to developing automated tools.    (09)

John    (010)