Re: [ontology-summit] Potential Tracks for Ontology Summit 2013

To: Ontology Summit 2013 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Fabian Neuhaus <fneuhaus@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 17:44:41 -0500

On Dec 11, 2012, at 12:59 PM, Michael Gruninger wrote:    (01)

> Hello everyone,
> in preparation for Thursday's Pre-launch of Ontology Summit 2013,
> here are some proposals for potential tracks.
> One objective of the session will be to decide on the tracks and
> specific topics that will be addressed within the tracks.
> Please note that this list of potential tracks is meant to start the
> discussion -- if you have other ideas for tracks, please join us
> on Thursday's call!
>

> 1. Dimensions of Ontology Evaluation
> - addresses notions of verification, validation, quality, ranking, ...
>
> 2. Evaluation and the Ontology Application Framework
> - looks at the problem of ontology evaluation from the perspective of
> the applications that use the ontologies. This Framework was one of the
> outcomes of Ontology Summit 2011
>
>(http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2011_ApplicationFramework_Synthesis)
>
> 3. Best Practices in Ontological Analysis
> - focuses on the ontology evaluation based on the ontology itself, such
> as logical criteria (consistency, completeness, modularity) and
> ontological analysis techniques (e.g. OntoClean).
>
> 4. Requirements for Ontologies
> - how do we specify the requirements against which we evaluate ontologies?
>
> 5. Environments for Developing and Evaluating Ontologies
> - what are best practices for evaluation that we can adapt from software
> engineering,
> particularly with distributed open-source software development?
>

> ----
>

> Michael Gruninger and Matthew West
> co-chairs of Ontology Summit 2013

Michael, Matthew,
This proposal looks very good to me. I am not sure whether you have this in
mind, but would be helpful to use the "Dimensions"-track to establish a
framework that allows us to categorize different ontology evaluation
methodologies. Three of the dimensions that we might want to consider are
- the motivations for ontology evaluation: the situation of somebody who is
intending to reuse an ontology and needs to choose between a different
candidates is very different from the situation of somebody who wants to
measure progress and quality during the ontology development process. They will
likely need different evaluation techniques.
- the desirable properties of ontologies that can be evaluated: e.g.,
consistency, coherence, adaptability, completeness, ...
- the aspects or levels of the ontology that can be evaluated: lexical,
syntactical, semantic, and the context of the ontology (e.g., relationship to
other ontologies, use a community)     (03)

Best
Fabian       (04)