Re: [ontology-summit] First Model Bench Challenge

To: Ontology Summit 2012 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jack Ring <jring7@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 00:01:48 -0700
Matthew, We may have quite different labels for the same concepts so let me try some others
In systems work it is important to discern between intrinsic attributes and extrinsic attributes.
Examples for a person are intrinsic = blue eyes while extrinsic = can run a mile in 4 minutes.
Examples for a system are intrinsic = what it is (content and structure) while extrinsic = what it does (stimulus:response behavior).
In object technology we talk about classes (content and structure) as distinct from objects that are instantiated from the pattern provided by the class and, properly engergized, can do things like respond to qualified messages.
In numbers we can talk about structure, e.g., Date = 5/5/2012 and about usage, e.g. can be added or subtracted from other Date values but not multiplied.
Software people use the word 'type' to designate usage. Seems to me this indicates one aspect of extrinsic attribute.
So I consider class to be semantically equivalent to content/structure and type to be semantically equivalent to behavior potential.
Any suggestions about how to clean up my act?