Re: [ontology-summit] Ontology Engineering for Systems Engineering [comp

To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ron Wheeler <rwheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 13:37:18 -0500
On 20/02/2012 12:45 PM, Matthew West wrote:

Dear Ron,

Actually, that is not correct (please reread my description below).

In addition many different P101's are in "existence" at once.

MW: There is only one P101. It is (was at as happens now) the pump at the bottom of Column 1 of a particular distillation unit. P101 is not a design for which there can be many instances. There is a design too, and P101 is one of its instances (see my exchange with Pat Hayes for clarification on how the relationship works).

There could be many designs for the system in which P101 occurs. In the designs, each P101 could be different in terms of it capabilities and properties.
They are all called P101 and appear in many documents with that designation with the understanding that at implementation time there will be some actual pump with a make model and serial number that performs the function.

There is only 1 S3556(at least there should be only 1).

MW: Agreed.

Operations and Maintenance see P101 and S3556 as being very closely related. Turning on or off the switch marked "P101" will cause S3556 to act.

MW:  It causes both P101 and S3556 to act, provided at the time they are coincident.

Engineering quite often has no idea about S3556 and for modelling, the relationship is often not relevant.

MW: I agree. S3556 is primarily of interest to the project engineer who builds the plant, and the maintenance engineer who manages the maintenance and replacement.

They may have dozens of different P101's in existence is various models, engineering reports, upgrade plans or dreams by the fireside.

MW: No. You have misunderstood what P101 is (my intention). It is a particular one.

This is a bit confusing to me. "Particular" in what sense? Agreed if you are talking about the identification of an M1 creature.
The introduction of the idea of "role" looked promising but I am not sure if M1 entities are anything other that fillers of roles.

The pump known as "P101" has may different specification is the various models in which it appears.
Each simulation that is created during the design or upgrade of this part of the refinery could have slight or major variations in the nature of P101.

There may be many different configurations involving P101 with different valves and sensors attached and even different piping and tank configurations.

MW: There can be different P101’s in different possible worlds (as with anything else), but only one in this world.

Now we are introducing the concept of "world".
Is each simulation a new world? It does have a lot of the characteristics of a world.

Do we lump together the Physical M0 objects and some set of M1 objects and put them in one world and all of the
other M1 instances with a P101, each belong to a different world?

I am not sure that introducing "world" actually helps a plant to have a rational and comprehensive view of its universe.

It is a question of judgment as to when one should stop calling the pump in the model P101 and cause a new pump P324 to come into existence.

MW: No. P101 is the pump at the bottom of C1, and whatever pump is that is at the bottom of C1 is P101. Anything else is something else.

I think that this is a good general policy.
The judgment comes in when you change the configuration of the system sufficiently that identifying the pump at the bottom of C1 as P101 creates too large a variation in the characteristics of P101 for engineers to accept the new pump as the "same thing".

This is really a side issue and not terribly critical to the discussion.

I think that the general thrust of the discussion is very good without my comments.
I hope that this is adding to the discussion.
If not, just ignore me. You are doing fine.

MW: there are clearly things that still need clarifying.

Regards

Matthew West

Information  Junction

Tel: +44 1489 880185

Mobile: +44 750 3385279

Skype: dr.matthew.west

matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/

http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England and Wales No. 6632177.

Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.

Ron