[ontology-summit] Engineering tracks 1 and 2.

To: "'Ontology Summit 2012 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: henson graves <henson.graves@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 17:38:19 -0600
Dear Matthew,
In my opinion semantic technologies are an appropriate solution for a number
of system engineering problems. Why semantic technology is needed is that
1. to collaborate and share engineering models without the need to have a
domain expert present
2. standards for language implementations
3. the need for reasoning to solve engineering problems such as design
constraint management.
The problem is not that semantic technology is needed but where are there
potential matches between ontology research and engineering needs. Here are
some suggestions.
1. Product descriptions, e.g., parts and composite structure
2. domain ontologies, such a physics laws which can be included in
engineering analysis
3. descriptions of engineering processes, methods, and artifacts
4 system of systems    (01)

Regards
- Henson    (02)