Re: [ontology-summit] Ontology Summit process [was- Re:[Big Systems and

To: Ontology Summit 2012 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Schiffel, Jeffrey A" <jeffrey.a.schiffel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 15:44:34 -0600

The city doesn’t have to be well-designed. Many grow by whimsy, almost. They still are collections of cooperating systems: systems of systems. Both kinds exhibit emergent behaviors, both positive and adverse. And they have boundaries. The other attributes you list are all characteristics of systems. We are merely discussing larger ones. Systems elements not addressed in depth in simpler systems become more important in systems of systems. This includes interactions arising from more complex and numerous interfaces. As I previously mentioned, hierarchy and emergence are more apparent. You’d expect this when complexity is considered (complexity in the sense of dynamical systems).

I thought I was clear that I was referring to engineered systems. But the natural systems you mention are also systems of systems.

-- Jeff Schiffel