Re: [ontology-summit] [Ontology Application Framework] Revised Strawman

To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Michael F Uschold <uschold@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 11:23:02 -0800
One aspect of the Ontology Application Framework is architecture, which is related to enterprise infrastructure.  There are several others that seem somewhat distinct, but are also closely related.

For example:
OntologyRole:   answers the question: how is the ontology used in an application. An OntologyRole role can also be a TechnologyOrTechnique, e.g. to drive user interface forms.

Purpose:  the reason for building the ontology. It could be related to the intended OntologyRole or intended Benefit.

Benefit: A desirable outcome. For OAF we are specifically interested in benefits that arise from the application of a particular technology, technique, or approach. Benefits may also derive from other benefits.  For example, reduced maintenance effort is a benefit that contributes to reduced costs. There is a distinction between an intended benefit, and an actual benefit.

TechnologyOrTechnique: A way of accomplishing something, can include specific techniques as well as broader technologies.

None of this is cut and dried.

  • A technology or technique can be tightly linked with the role of the ontology, and/or the architecture.   Technologies and techniques can directly lead to benefits.
  • Purpose is often conflated with benefit. The purpose is to have a particular benefit, but the purpose might be expressed as a particular way the ontology will be used, or it could be expressed as a benefit, or both.
  • The ontology role is often tightly tied up with an architecture.
  • An ontology may play a particular role, and do so according to spec, but there may be no benefit at the end of the day.
We are working to tease out these distinctions.  In fact, I am building an OAF ontology in owl (some of the definitions above are pasted from the ontology comments).

There are several reasons for doing this:
  1. to help clarify my thinking
  2. to effectively communicate the framework.
  3. to act as a basis for populating a database of ontology applications.
(rhetorical) exercise for the reader:  classify the above reasons into one or more of:
  • ontology purpose
  • ontology role
  • intended purpose
  • intended benefit