Re: [ontology-summit] Invitation to a brainstorming call for the 2011 On

To: Ontology Summit 2011 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 11:35:44 -0600
On Dec 15, 2010, at 10:50 AM, Jack Ring wrote:
> I have made you aware of the description of quality as shared by the quality
>guru's. Your view differs. That is certainly your prerogative.    (01)

Seems to me Matthew's point is not one with which reasonable people can
disagree.    (02)

> Let's assume that the fifth bug is relevant. If the first four bugs had no
>effect on the usefulness of the program then fixing them doesn't reduce the
>virulence of the fifth bug.    (03)

This just isn't relevant. Matthew provided a simple counterexample to your
assertion that "quality is binary": a case where there are five (equally
severe) bugs in a program and four are fixed is obviously an improvement in
quality short of perfection. Case closed; quality isn't binary (unless you mean
something idiosyncratic by "quality"). Your pointing out that you can modify
the conditions of his example in such a way that it is no longer a
counterexample is irrelevant. Suppose you claim that all the balls in the bin
are red or green. If Matthew reaches in and pulls out a blue one, it is no
defense of your claim to reach in and pull out a red or green one.    (04)

> I can be certain that software is defect free if I know the context of the
>software, both its operational context and the purpose of its usage.
> I cannot be certain which kid will win the spelling bee. I can be certain of
>the last one left. Similarly, I can be certain of the weakest precondition for
>any output and whether the WP will be met for any scenario of input or any
>limits on inputs.
> Make sense?    (05)

Maybe. But it doesn't have much that I can see to do with your claim that
"quality is binary".    (06)

Chris Menzel    (07)