Re: [ontology-summit] Way to mention semantic web

To: "'Ontology Summit 2010 discussion'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Matthew West" <dr.matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 20:15:57 -0000

Dear Simon,

Executive Summary

"As governments around the world continue to change the way they think about their information systems, away from isolated systems, none of which can talk to each other, and towards more  advanced systems based on the Semantic Web, designed to make it easier for citizens, and the government itself, to join these systems together to build new applications that the designers of the original systems may never have thought of.

For example, on the 19th of January, the British Government formally launched  http://data.gov.uk/ , a Semantic Web based site developed under  the guidance of  Sir Tim Berners-Lee.  Compared to systems like this, initiatives like the  US http://data.gov/  which merely points to unconnected piles  of data, look ever more dated.

To  build these integrated systems, America needs

MW: I don’t think this should just be about what America needs.

a trained corps of people trained to deal with semantics. Already this lack of trained personnel is causing serious problems for linking vital Intelligence Community systems, with dangerous effects on National Security . If we don't take action to train the people we need, the situation will only get worse."

Regards

Matthew West

Information  Junction

Tel: +44 560 302 3685

Mobile: +44 750 3385279

matthew.west@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://www.informationjunction.co.uk/

http://www.matthew-west.org.uk/

This email originates from Information Junction Ltd. Registered in England and Wales No. 6632177.

Registered office: 2 Brookside, Meadow Way, Letchworth Garden City, Hertfordshire, SG6 3JE.