[ontology-summit] Requirements Survey and Community Input [REQUIREMENTS]

To: Ontology Summit 2010 discussion <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Amanda Vizedom <amanda.vizedom@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 10:01:38 -0500
All,    (01)

I've posted some encouragement and suggestions for community input to
the Requirements Track Community Input page; shortcut to the new post
is:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2010_PresentRequirements_CommunityInput#nid29OA    (02)

In addition to pointing you to the post, I want to draw your attention
to a few bits:    (03)

*  All three surveys are scheduled to close on Monday, 22 Feb. Please
respond if you haven't already! Main page for all surveys, with links
and instructions, is here:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2010_Survey.    (04)

* The Requirements Survey (Survey-2) will be most valuable if we draw
numerous responses from many positions across the ontology landscape.
Many of you have responded already; Thank you!  Many of you have not.
Do respond, if at all possible. Your input is valued! If the questions
or answer options don't quite fit, use the "other" and similar
free-text fields to provide your answer and/or tell us how you had to
tweak the question to make it apply to you.    (05)

* I would very much like this survey to reach beyond the
OntologySummit2010 community, and into the fields and activities where
other ontology stakeholders live. I'm keenly aware that we have large
communication gaps between sectors, roles, fields, application
communities, and geographical regions. The more we can cross those
gaps in our requirements gathering, the more able we'll be to develop
curricula that produce ontologists well-prepared for the work ahead of
them. I have written up a solicitation for broader community input and
posted it at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2010_Survey_Solicit.
I've posted it to a number of related interested groups (as you may
have seen), send out some seed tweets (see #OntologySummit2010 or
#ajvizedom), and am sending it out to some individuals.    (06)

If you can help circulate the solicitation widely, please do! Feel
free to forward the text of the message by email or forward the link
(http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologySummit2010_Survey_Solicit).
Post to groups I haven't hit already, or comment on my post if you see
that I have. Retweet my link to the invitation, or craft a wittier one
of your own. Encourage the folks you see as having an interest in the
creation of future ontologist -- because they might be one, because
the work with them, because the need them, or for some other reason I
haven't considered. Your help drawing relevant responses is very much
appreciated. The sooner the better, since the surveys are scheduled to
close in a few days! Perhaps get people the message at work today,
with time to respond over the weekend. Your creativity welcomed.    (07)

Here's looking at more great input!    (08)

Best Regards,
Amanda Vizedom    (09)