Re: [ontology-summit] Progressing a Units Ontology - virtual session

To: Mike Bennett <mbennett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Ontology Summit 2009 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Conrad Bock <conrad.bock@xxxxxxxx>, Forest Lin <linforests@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Gunther Schadow <gschadow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 08:51:46 -0400
Mike Bennett wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> I would love to participate in this session.
>
> In particular I want to ensure that the concept of units is broad enough
> to cover uses outside of the physical measurement domain. For example
> currencies are also a unit of measure.    (01)

Actually, I think currencies are not unit of measure because
they lack one important property, and that it they do not have
a fixed magnitude relative to other units of the same kind
of quantity.    (02)

Commensurability and magnitude are critical properties to take
care of.    (03)

regards,
-Gunther    (04)

--
Gunther Schadow, M.D., Ph.D.                  gschadow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Associate Professor           Indiana University School of Informatics

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this message and any files
transmitted with it may contain confidential and/or privileged
information and are intended solely for the use of the named
addressee(s). Additionally, the information contained herein may have
been disclosed to you from medical records with confidentiality
protected by federal and state laws. Federal regulations and State
laws prohibit you from making further disclosure of such information
without the specific written consent of the person to whom the
information pertains or as otherwise permitted by such regulations. A
general authorization for the release of medical or other information
is not sufficient for this purpose. If you have received this message
in error, please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete the
original message. Any retention, disclosure, copying, distribution or
use of this information by anyone other than the intended recipient is
strictly prohibited.    (06)