Re: [ontolog-forum] Spottiswoode contribution to ConferenceCall_2009_03_

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ontology Summit 2009" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Christopher Spottiswoode" <cms@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 21:54:33 +0200
My apologies to all for my announcement appended below, under
the above subject-line, which fell completely flat when I
withdrew from the March 26 pre-Summit ConferenceCall panel at
almost the last moment.  Worse, it led some of you to scratch
around in vain looking for the slideshow I had advertised -
sorry!    (01)

I withdrew because I had eventually concluded that there was too
much of a mismatch between the would-be grand scope of my
planned pitch and the more immediate orientation the Summit and
its preparations were adopting.    (02)

Nonetheless, my project still falls squarely within the Summit's
theme, "Towards Ontology-based Standards", as I had motivated it
in my post now archived here:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontology-summit/2009-03/msg00005.html.    (03)

(You might even look at my first web page on this project,
http://jeffsutherland.com/oopsla96/spottisw.html, and consider
all occurrences, in their contexts, of "standard".  In view of
some key aspects of the architecture you might also do likewise
for "abstract" and "orthogonal".)    (04)

So this post is timed to precede the Summit as I would still
like to think that some of those present might want to be aware
of how one might firmly anticipate our industry's melding - in
due course - of ontologies and standards in a more thorough and
elegant way than presently conventional technologies permit one
to conceive.    (05)

(Of course, none of my efforts are intended to detract from the
Summit occasion as ably put together by Steve Ray and team.  On
the contrary, I see a fine complementarity between our
respective emphases, his clearly being more capable of immediate
returns out there on the standards ground.  That thereby helps
prepare that ground and seeds for its deeper ploughing...)    (06)

As in the above-mentioned motivating post's point 3, the
critical difference involves "how the notion of orthogonality
relative to ontologies enables a novel 'Separation of Concerns'
and consequent component architecture for Information Systems,
scalable all the way up to future Internet sizes and
intricacies, thanks to many different and fascinating but
highly-relevant considerations."  I also repeat that post's
point 4 on the implications for standards:    (07)

> 4.  Component architecture (and associated interoperabilities)
> is where the "standard" aspect comes to the fore at its most
> basic level.  More than that, it does so in a way that will
> also imply Barry Smith's statement, likewise on the Conference
> Call of March 12, that "ontologies should die."  They and
> their disciplines become an integral part of how everything is
> specified, hangs together and executes on networks of
> computers, enabling human collaboration.  Reformed and
> newly-relevant standards are applied as an integral aspect of
> the products they regulate.  Ontologies merge with their IS
> realizations as their indispensable frameworks (in a manner of
> speaking).  Given the exponential penetration of IT throughout
> the modern economy, the same trend will, in due course, in the
> open market, generalize and spread to virtually all standards
> domains.  Standards themselves will become nothing more than
> the upper layers of group consensus in our world of
> multi-niched but interoperating consensus processes in a
> better-oiled universal market.    (08)

The Summit's plan is also to set some practical projects in
motion.  So I shall now tie together the various loose ends I
had left lying around, and indicate a path forwards with what I
can clearly see is an initial project of a feasible scale, in
which I am inviting collaboration.    (09)

Perhaps at least one or two Ontolog Forum members and/or their
colleagues or institutions might be tempted to join in?    (010)

Prior to my withdrawal I had been gearing up to introduce that
project in my few short minutes on the ConferenceCall.  As I had
put it in my email below, this was the small initial project:    (011)

"Towards demonstrating a new ontology-based standard component
architecture for IT applications"    (012)

The slideshow motivating that initial project is now available
for download as
http://TheMainstream.info/RideTheMainstream20090325.pps, in
exactly the rather hastily-cobbled shape in which it would have
appeared on the ConferenceCall website had I not withdrawn.    (013)

That website's home page introduces the main project more fully,
but as you can see, the website is still very much a
work-in-progress.    (014)

However, as a brief introduction the slideshow does give some
indication of the role of orthogonality in the IS application
architecture.  To understand that role you must see it as in the
slideshow, namely as underlying the planned AOS or Application
Operating System which will bring life to the whole notion once
"we" (i.e. you and me?) can complete some more programming.    (015)

At present I am busy making minor adjustments to the slideshow
and expanding the notes (though no slides will be dropped or
added).  An early start is already online, starting from
http://TheMainstream.info/RTM.html, but many more annotations
are still intended.  So any specific comments or questions from
you now would more surely get an immediate in-context response
than when I have moved on from this slideshow-annotation task.
(Hint:  If you see the familar graphic-not-found icon on one of
the pages, most noticeably on slide 10, just be patient, the
graphics will arrive!  They are being downloaded in resizable
form.)    (016)

In the meantime I want to try to address the kind of comment
that will surely pop into your minds very soon, if it has not
done so already.  It might even be along lines such as these:    (017)

"Surely this guy is some kind of nutcase!  He's a reader of
Ontolog so hasn't he picked up John Sowa's warning not long ago
against any Silver Bullet claim for this domain?"  (I won't go
so far as to raise the conceivable charge of incoherence, as
I'll knit it all together, and multidimensionally, in due
course.)    (018)

Fair enough!  But yes, I obviously did get John's message.
Nonetheless I do still see The Mainstream Architecture for
Common Knowledge together with the canonical AOS as the right
kind of foundation for silver bullets for many problems in many
domains for just the right kinds of reasons.  So please be
patient with me as I give what is perhaps the shortest answer
which might carry any weight at this stage (other than producing
a Metaset program running as so long promised!  (Sure, but that
will convince 99% of you and right now all I need is 1%...)):    (019)

I shall argue that one's instinctive dismissal of silver bullets
does not apply here, at least seeing how the whole construction
proposed has been built on a systematic recognition of our
ambient complexity and hence of the inevitability of our
recurrent oversimplifications of it, some of the more extreme of
which condemn us to the bad silver bullet syndrome.    (020)

More positively - since this *is* supposedly The Mainstream -
this silver bullet of the allegedly non-fallacious kind even
involves greatly exploiting how our cognition has evolved in
implicit recognition of the impossibility - and undesirability -
of any ontological reductionism such as ontologists easily stray
into ... by concocting foundational or upper ontologies as
supposed silver bullets!    (021)

I start once again with my oft-repeated high-level
generalization of the supposed need addressed here, namely, for
a system "to help us simplify complexity together," implicitly
"without unduly oversimplifying it."    (022)

(Now you must please excuse some very narcissistic
autobiography.  It does however play a merely temporary role,
hopefully addressing the "nutcase" suspicion, so can of course
be totally expunged from the picture once that need has fallen
away.  The story is of a very ordinary person in rather
extraordinary circumstances.)    (023)

The "simplifying complexity" notion first dawned dimly in my own
poor mind in 1963, as a kind of intersection between my
mathematical and scientific background with the South African
political situation of the time.    (024)

Our country was then in the grip of that arch silver bullet high
priest, Dr Hendrik Verwoerd, social engineer par excellence and
imposer of his "Grand Apartheid" vision of "Separate
 Development" along racial lines.  I had just spent over 4 years
of undergraduate and early post-graduate study at the
Afrikaans-medium university where he had been a student and then
psychology professor at the age of 27.  I happened to have been
a class-mate and residence-mate (UK college-mate or US
dorm-mate) of his son, Hendrik junior, so I had spent many many
hours with him and his friends, trying to understand their
position and convince them of the folly of it.  All in vain, of
course.  So much for would-be ontologies or conceptual schemas
for "reality", such self-reinforcing enslavers of minds!    (025)

But, and partly in reaction to the supposed biblical
underpinnings of apartheid, as a young science student I had my
own folly, in the form of different kinds of would-be
ontologies:  physical and biological reductionisms of mental
phenomena.  So when in 1963 I went on a scholarship to do a PhD
in pure mathematics at Cambridge University (UK) I eagerly
attended the then annual feature at the student Rationalist
Society, the talk "Is Vitalism dead?" by that other high priest,
Francis Crick.  His would-be final nail in the Vitalism coffin
was a demonstration of supposed machine "creativity":  the new
proof by a computer program, undiscovered by human
mathematicians, that the base angles of an isosceles triangle
are equal (In the triangles ABC and ACB,  AB=AC, AC=AB, BC=CB,
therefore the triangles are congruent so angle B = angle C.)
But that unduly glib example did alert me to the reductionist's
need to take creativity seriously.  So when Arthur Koestler's
"The Act of Creation" appeared in 1964 I bought and read it with
great motivation, and indeed, you can see in the slideshow what
a key role his explanation of creativity, in many domains, plays
in The Mainstream Architecture for Common Knowledge.    (026)

Meanwhile, fortunately, one of the mental phenomena my own
reductionism supposedly explained was the "Road to Damascus"
euphoria when the mind can newly "see" - whether truly or not -
a complex situation in terms of an abstract theory, in some
welcome resolution of a welter of tensions, and thereby
hopefully gain at least scientific or social advantage.  At
least, that view seemed to undermine biblical justifications for
anything, including Apartheid.  But any such would-be
explanation or "insight" self-reflectively casts any supposed
silver bullet such as itself in systematic doubt!  So I dropped
mathematics and set about trying to write a book under the title
"The Phenomenon of Knowledge", partly under the influence of
Teilhard de Chardin's "The Phenomenon of Man", but explicitly
targeted, however naively, at improving cogitations in the
complex South African situation, that excellent and for me more
amenable microcosm of many global issues.  That led to over 3
years of informal study at Cambridge, much of which at the knees
of philosopher Donald KacKinnon, "the most influential
philosopher of religion in Britain during the twentieth
 century." (from the description on
http://www.amazon.com/Christ-Ethics-Tragedy-Essays-MacKinnon/dp/052134137X
of a 1989 volume of essays in his honour.  (And yes, I am aware
that there are many, say, French or German, who might be
surprised to hear that there were any British philosophers of
religion at all in that century.  But MacKinnon _was_ most worth
listening to on anything philosophical or theological, on Kant
too...))    (027)

I wrote MacKinnon a status update for the start of the 1966
academic year, shortly after the assassination of Prime Minister
Hendrik Verwoerd in the South African Parliament, relating how I
had hoped, during the Summer vacation, to have made a good new
start on my projected book, but "all that had come out" was the
pair of essays I submitted to him.  They set out my
interpretation of Homer's Scylla and Charybdis (which, now more
than ever, I believe to be both faithful and original), and my
agate metaphor for Ontology (as now introduced in the
slideshow).    (028)

I know MacKinnon was impressed by them, however, and those two
essays or mini-theses, by this then-25-year-old who had chanced
upon an uncommon kind of path and since stuck with it, do indeed
represent and encapsulate the philosophical foundations of The
Mainstream Architecture for Common Knowledge.    (029)

All those events were prior to any involvement in computerized
information systems by me or by any of my then teachers.  So the
prime Demand as I then conceived it certainly preceded the
proposed IT Supply!  And, with that smattering of scientific,
mathematical, political and philosophical background, 'I
proceeded,' as related near the beginning of
http://jeffsutherland.com/oopsla98/SpottBioComp.html, 'with my
plan of going into data-processing as a handy and relevant way
of learning about real and practical complexity. As I explained
it to my future employer's interviewer, it was "to learn about
administration", and to a mystified friend (likewise
mathematically-trained) on his way to becoming a sociology
professor, it was "to study change".'    (030)

Scylla, the monster of oversimplification, has of course extreme
examples in supposed Road to Damascus conversions and silver
bullet syndromes.  (John S, does that reassure you at all that I
have probably reconsidered my "silver bullet" announcement
rather searchingly?  Anyway, only time and some more programming
will finally tell whether I have done so with sufficient
relentlessness.  Or maybe you can put me straight now?)    (031)

For various perspectives on the extensive Homeric metaphor,
Google 'scylla metaset spottiswoode', also ask Google to "repeat
the search with the omitted results included", and in its linked
pages find "scylla" or "charybdis".  Or Google '"Beyond
Apartheid" metaset', also with omitted results, and consider
buying a copy of the 1986 book with that title from me for its
more systematic and barely dated presentation opening its "Part
III - Philosophy").  Perhaps the best short indication on the
web of the extremely wide if not universal significance of the
Homeric patterns and anti-patterns for cognitive behaviour in
the face of complexity is the table and few short paragraphs of
context on either side of it at
http://jeffsutherland.com/oopsla97/SpottiswoodeByndBO.html#table.
Or else just wait until I can write it up more systematically on
TheMainstream.info!    (032)

I shall now continue annotating the slideshow and adding further
material on the websites.  So this is a good moment to express
your questions, doubts, dismissals and mere opinions on this
entire project, as I shall welcome being led by them in the new
material to come.    (033)

Thank you for reading this far, and I look forward to your
inputs of whatever kind you wish, whether on Ontolog or offline.    (034)

Christopher    (035)