Re: [ontology-summit] Your Ontology Summit discussionlist subscription

To: "Ontology Summit 2009" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Mason, Howard (UK)" <Howard.Mason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 15:22:24 -0000

I strongly concur with this practical approach.  There is a large body
of existing agreement on standard terms, definitions and relationships
in the published work of standards bodies and consortia.  There is no
need to reinvent this - just encode in whatever language you are using
to represent your ontologies.    (01)

Many people make the joke that "the great thing about standards is that
there are so many to choose from".  One of the main reasons for this is
that inadequate searching is done on the availability of existing
material before kicking off a development activity - we ended up with
three different standards for postal address through just such a
strategy.  Subsidiary reasons include the need to justify research funds
by doing something different, or the belief that the existing work
cannot be used since "Our requirement is different", despite all
evidence to the contrary.    (02)

I would encourage all concerned to take note of these hard-won lessons
and ensure that ontological developments build on the shoulders of those
who have gone before, to paraphrase Einstein.    (03)

Howard Mason
Chair, ISO  TC 184/SC 4, Industrial Data
Corporate IT Office
Tel: +44 1252 383129
Mob: +44 780 171 3340
Eml: howard.mason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
BAE Systems plc
Registered Office: 6 Carlton Gardens, London, SW1Y 5AD, UK
Registered in England & Wales No: 1470151     (04)