Re: [ontology-summit] Your Ontology Summit discussion list subscription

To: Ontology Summit 2009 <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Chris Welty <cawelty@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 11:13:19 -0500

All,    (01)

It is with some trepidation that, in consideration of the 290 ontolog forum
messages posted *this year*, I send this email.  Apologies for my agnosis on
the
current state of the discussion.    (02)

I have a keen interest in *actual* ontology standards (as opposed to standards
that use ontology in their names but are, rather, standards for specifying
them), so I just want to put a stake in the ground.  I don't really want to
debate it, I just want to let people know where I stand.    (03)

I've argued for ontology "content" standards for years in the W3C.  There is
much opposition.  Those opposed used SUO as an evidence, and would, today, use
ontolog forum.    (04)

I know Pat Cassidy advocates the idea of a small, upper level ontology standard
(I don't recall whether "upper" or "foundational" is currently in vogue).  I
have held that position for over 10 years (in particular the "small" aspect),
but FYI, most standards orgs are already primed to reject anything like this.
The simple evidence they see is that there is nothing like consensus on what
such a standard should be, nor even on whether it should be large or small, and
most standards orgs agree that standards are not for such things.    (05)

One thing that has received some limited support, and in my view has a chance
of
being adopted, are what I called "Core Ontologies".  I used this name to refer
to well scoped and highly reusable ontologies that could be sort of ontology
libraries, comprising perhaps the "stdlib" of the ontology world.  Examples are
Time, Space, units, and a few others.  A Core Ontology is not an ontology that
the rest of the world is expected to specialize or extend, it is an ontology
that a lot of ontology designers could reuse because it captures some
perspective on an aspect of reality that is often needed.    (06)

In the W3C, I used the OWL-Time work [http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-time/] as an
example of this, and its success has garnered some support for the idea of Core
Ontologies.    (07)

-Chris    (08)

cawelty@xxxxxxxxx                           Hawthorne, NY 10532
http://www.research.ibm.com/people/w/welty    (010)