Re: [ontology-summit] Lessons Learned from Virtual Organizing for the On

To: "Doug Holmes" <dholmes@xxxxxxx>
Cc: Ontology Summit 2007 Follow-up <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 17:36:56 -0700
Great!... Thanks.

The "mix-up" -- crossed usage of the [ontolog-forum] and [ontology-summit] lists -- was somewhat unfortunate. We were hoping to drive the heavy traffic to the [ontology-summit] list, leaving [ontolog-forum] on a 'mild traffic' kind of state. It didn't work out as some never grasp that segregation, probably being too enthusiastic about the matter all together. Great demonstration that these are spontaneous, and at times 'emergent' activities and behavior at play. I think that was a good thing, despite some collateral damages.

The result: ~400 messages were exchanged on [ontology-summit] and ~1200 were  exchanged on [ontolog-forum].
... we ended up losing quite a few [ontolog-forum] members, but then, gained even more members too, because words about the summit, and about Ontolog did get out.

Regards.  =ppy