[ontolog-forum] an experiment in peer production

To: "'Ontolog Forum'" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Ontology Summit 2007 Forum'" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Tom Gruber" <onto@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 14:41:48 -0700

Hello Ontolog people:

Thank you for inviting me to the summit, which was very educational. I learned a lot, which I tried to reflect in the keynote at the end

http://ontolog.cim3.net/file/work/OntologySummit2007/workshop/gruber-social-web-keynote_20070424.ppt

The process of drafting a framework document, socializing it, and then trying to collaboratively write a "communiqué" was also educational.

As a follow-up, I have created an experiment that attempts to continue the intellectual progress we have made while trying a new way of guiding and capturing progress.  I created a page on the Ontolog wiki called OntologyDistinctions, which is an experiment in collaboration and intellectual dialog. It poses the question,

"Can a group of people who care passionately about the definition of a word or concept collaborate effectively via a wiki on a description of what it is?"

If you are a builder or user of ontologies that could be shared on the Internet, I invite you to participate in this experiment.  I have posted seven distinctions that seem to me to be the points of disagreement in the conversation so far.  In the wiki page, your opportunity is to add your stance under those points that you care about, or add some more distinctions and positions under them.

http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?OntologyDistinctions

The result will be peer-produced, semistructured document that chips away at what we mean by what we do, from multiple perspectives, in a principled and constructive form.

Enjoy,

tom