[ontology-summit] "Mapping" the Ontology dimensions

To: "Ontology Summit 2007 Forum" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Peter F Brown" <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 05:43:30 +0200
Our working group "Z" was scoped this afternoon to examine the "dimensions" of
the proposed ontology framework.    (01)

We started by agreeing that some sort of "representation" of the "dimensions"
was needed, particularly as the questions of possible co-variance and/or
orthogonality between the dimensions was discussed in the session and that the
dimensions were not "alike" in terms of their relationship with an ontology. We
decided to create a "concept map" with limited semantics: I use the word
"depicts" - it is not intended as a specification of a conceptualisation, after
all ;-)    (02)

This diagram can then serve to depcit and talk about the dimensions as well as
give us some understanding of the implications of metrics applied to them (for
example existence or degree of co-variance)    (03)

See attached diagram (best quality I can manage with limited tools, sorry).    (04)

Please limit interpretation of the "concept map" to the following semantics -
nothing else is implied:    (05)

(Solid blue ovals) - There are two "nodes" related to "ontology" - essentially
depicting the "what?" and the "whose?" of the ontology;    (06)

("Fluffy" green and lilac ovals, over a line connecting two nodes) - There are
then a series of "named arcs" or relationships/associations between nodes that
depict or say something about, have or establish some relationship between two
nodes - the green ones use verbs, while the lilac ones use nouns for no reason
other than the fact that we didn't have time to go further: the green arcs
could equally be named "formalization", "expression" and "structure";    (07)

(Fluffy red ovals, with an unnamed directed arc pointing to a node) - There are
some nodes that say something further about another node, whether it is to
qualify, explain, scope or otherwise constrain;    (08)

(Fluffy yellow ovals, with an unnamed non-directed arc connecting with a node)
- Some nodes have an "is" or an "is a" relationship with another node    (09)

Finally, the nodes and arcs on the left cover, we believe the issues relating
to semantic dimensions, while those on the right cover the pragmatic dimensions.    (010)

So....the big question is now: is this useful? Can it be used as a template
onto which specific ontologies can be mapped and - where necessary/useful -
values applied to each node or arc?    (011)

I hope that I have faithfully reproduced what we discussed and not extrapolated
too far with any of the nodes or arcs: together they do capture the entirety of
the dimensions and descriptions thereof in the framework statement.    (012)

Peter    (013)

Checked by AVG Free Edition.