Re: [ontology-summit] Constructive Engagement

To: Ontology Summit 2007 Forum <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Christopher Menzel <cmenzel@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 15:17:05 -0500
Mike U. wrote:
> I'm detecting a tone of agression/defensiveness in recent messages.
>
> I see phrases like:
> * 'to say X is absurd' and
> * 'this style of long-winded argument by attrition'.
> * 'arrogance',
> * 'tacky'
> * 'cheap potshot'    (01)

Well, *now* I'm feeling defensive! :-)  I would ordinarily overlook
or even enjoy a well-turned potshot, but I believe that someone with
Tom's near legendary stature in this community has a greater
responsibility, in the context of this discussion, to make his case
with arguments instead of cheap rhetoric. "philosophers and other
dialectic sportsmen" (which for some reason didn't make your list)
indiscriminately dismisses the earnest contributions of a large
subset of the ontology community out of hand as an irrelevant
hindrance to genuine progress.  *Even if* that is so (I'm in fact to
some extent sympathetic), it is an issue that deserves sober and
respectful discussion.    (02)

-chris    (03)