[ontology-summit] Constructive Engagement

To: "Ontology Summit 2007 Forum" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Uschold, Michael F" <michael.f.uschold@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 12:26:22 -0700

I'm detecting a tone of agression/defensiveness in recent messages.

I see phrases like:
* 'to say X is absurd' and
* 'this style of long-winded argument by attrition'.
* 'arrogance',
* 'tacky'
* 'cheap potshot'
* 'Or is it based on a few anecdotes and your own personal feelings'.

Many people are saying 'YOU said this' or 'YOUR idea is silly' which comes across a personal attack.

I believe our goals will be better served by toning down the judgemental and personal wording.

It is more constructive to attack the idea or belief and wording it like "the claim that X is unfounded because..."

Michael

Michael Uschold
M&CT, Phantom Works
425 373-2845