Re: [ontology-summit] ontology as logical theory?

To: "Ontology Summit 2007 Forum" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 19:01:31 -0500
There is also the notion of descriptive complexity (under Finite Model
Theory), which tries to characterize the expressive complexity of
various logics, i.e., Immerman's chart:
http://www.cs.umass.edu/~immerman/descriptive_complexity.html    (01)

It's closely related to Kolmogorov expressive complexity of logics,
i.e., the number of bits needed to express the given logical theory:
http://www-mgi.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/Publications/pub/jurek/iandc.p
s.  In fact, this is a good formal intro to the whole area.     (02)

It would be nice to factor in Semantic Web languages (and description
logics) to this. Ian Horrocks has some work in this area. And of
course, taxonomies, thesauri, and most conceptual models don't have a
formalization, so it's hard to place them within this framework.
Natural language is the most expressive, but it's not really
characterizable yet as far as I know (except perhaps under the Chomsky
hierarchy of formal languages, but no one as far as I know has put all
of this stuff together yet). Perhaps some folks here might think about
such a program? Chris, Mike?    (03)

Thanks,
Leo    (04)

Dr. Leo Obrst       The MITRE Corporation, Information Semantics
lobrst@xxxxxxxxx    Center for Innovative Computing & Informatics
Voice: 703-983-6770 7515 Colshire Drive, M/S H305
Fax: 703-983-1379   McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA     (05)