Re: [ontology-summit] ontology as logical theory?

To: patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx, Ontology Summit 2007 Forum <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Doug Holmes <dholmes@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 14:48:08 -0800
Hello Patrick,
        I'm confidant that John will provide a good answer, but I think I'll
take the opportunity to agree with you, that the point of all of
this  - in the ontology-summit forum, at least - is " a discussion of
the many meanings that may be given to the term "ontology" so that we
can better communicate with each other."  In that sense, I think John
offers an historical insight into how the term "little o" ontology
came into more general use.  In my experience, at least, it is a term
that was "borrowed" from meta-physics to help people talk about
knowledge bases as a distinct aspect of a knowledge-based system.
 From that perspective, there is a long and rich experience that
relates the term "ontology" to computer implementations of formal
logic.  If there were prior - or contemporary - appropriations of the
"little o" term, I, for one, would be interested to know about them.
        On the other hand, the notions of a "knowledge base" and "ontology"
seem to be attractive and useful to a larger audience.  I remember -
over ten years ago - looking at a pretty extensive "knowledge base"
that had no connection with computer systems, other than the word
processing system in which it was recorded.  It is also not unusual
to see similar collections of information that are described as
"ontologies." There seem to be lots of these and they are useful to
the folks that maintain them.  More recently, we see a number of web-
based systems, mostly lumped together under the "Web 2.0" rubric,
that depend on some organization of operational information that can
be - and sometimes is - called an "ontology".  At least some of those
are prospering greatly [as are their owners].
        So, it seems that if we are able to describe some relationship(s)
between all the things to which the term ontology is applied,  we
might be able to help out with the issues that Steve Ray mentions
[locating various technologies on a scale or graph], and, as you
mention, to improve communications among the different communities
that use these terms [always a good thing].  But, from my, more
limited view, the potential to improve the process of "technology
transfer" is most interesting.  That can happen, I think, if there
are improved communications about (1) authentic functional
requirements [explored and discovered on a daily basis by the Web 2.0
community] and (2) experience and knowledge of how these things work
[known by computer scientists and formal ontologists] and (3) the
potential to address and solve more significant problems [ explored
and worked on by a wider range of academic and other researchers].
That's my two bits.  And, at any rate, the discussion, in this group
is almost always entertaining.
I hope you too are having a great day.
Doug    (01)

On Feb 22, 2007, at 11:57 AM, Patrick Durusau wrote:    (02)