Re: [ontology-summit] ontology as logical theory?

To: "Ontology Summit 2007 Forum" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Uschold, Michael F" <michael.f.uschold@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 11:41:00 -0800
This is a good point.
However, what is NOT apples and oranges is to address the question:    (01)

When someone sees a term in an explicit representation that is an
ontology and wants to understand what that term means: how easy is it
for them to do that?  How much can they know about the intended meaning
of the term?    (02)

*       If there is only a term, then there is hardly any meaning
expressed so it is hard.    (03)

*       If it is a term in a thesaurus with some broad/narrow and
related to links, it is a little easier.    (04)

*       If it is a term in a formal ontology expressed in logic, and
there is no information about the term other than to say it is a class,
i.e. that class is not used in the domain or range of any relationship,
etc. THEN: it is also very hard.** If there was natural language
documentation describing the intended meaning of the term it would be
easier.    (05)

*       If the term is described in great and glorious detail in a
natural lang, using very precise and carful wording, and is related to
many other terms also carefully defined/described, then it is also much
easier still.    (06)

** In a strict logical sense one can say it is easy to say what it means
(it is a set). But I'm talking about the real world meaning perspective.
How is a term intended to be used?  In that sense, the only hint at how
a term is intended to be used comes from its term (e.g. 'event', or
'FOAF:person'...)    (07)

Mike    (08)

Michael Uschold
M&CT, Phantom Works
425 373-2845
michael.f.uschold@xxxxxxxxxx

COOL TIP: to skip the phone menu tree and get a human on the phone, go
to: http://gethuman.com/tips.html     (010)