Re: [ontology-summit] ontology as logical theory?

To: matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx
Cc: Ontology Summit 2007 Forum <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Patrick Durusau <patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:25:05 -0500
Matthew,    (01)

matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx wrote:    (02)

>Dear Chris,
>

>>>Ok, but then why use the term "ontology"? If you are right,
>>>

>>let's just
>>

>>>use the term "logical theory"?
>>>

>>I don't think that would follow.  For one thing, I'm only proposing
>>that "logical theory" is the only viable *definition* of "formal
>>ontology".
>>

>MW: I think I would want to add  to an ontology being a "logical theory".
>I think I would at least want to say that "a formal ontology is a
>logical theory with an intended interpretation".
>
>MW: I might also want to drop "logical". I accept that most people here
>are developing logical theories, but if I understand it correctly, there
>is at least one enterprise to develop an ontology based on Category
>Theory rather than logic.
>
>MW: If I wanted to put that one level less formally, I would say
>"An ontology is a theory of something."

+1    (03)

I am curious who is the target of any eventual definition of ontology?    (04)

Is this a definition that we want others (read outside the ontolog
community) to use? And if so, for what purpose?    (05)

I think the same questions could be asked about whatever is going to be
arranged along dimensions. After all, dimensions are chosen for a
reason, that is with some outcome in mind that will result from ordering
along a particular dimension.    (06)

Hope you are at the start of a great week!    (07)

Patrick    (08)

--
Patrick Durusau
Patrick@xxxxxxxxxxx

Topic Maps: Human, not artificial, intelligence at work!     (010)