Re: [ontology-summit] ontology as logical theory?

To: <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: <matthew.west@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:06:19 -0000
Dear Chris,    (01)

> > Ok, but then why use the term "ontology"? If you are right,
> let's just
> > use the term "logical theory"?
>
> I don't think that would follow.  For one thing, I'm only proposing
> that "logical theory" is the only viable *definition* of "formal
> ontology".      (02)

MW: I think I would want to add  to an ontology being a "logical theory".
I think I would at least want to say that "a formal ontology is a
logical theory with an intended interpretation".    (03)

MW: I might also want to drop "logical". I accept that most people here
are developing logical theories, but if I understand it correctly, there
is at least one enterprise to develop an ontology based on Category
Theory rather than logic.    (04)

MW: If I wanted to put that one level less formally, I would say
"An ontology is a theory of something."    (05)