Re: [ontology-summit] dimensions/aspects of ontology types?

To: "Ontology Summit 2007 Forum" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Obrst, Leo J." <lobrst@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 18:15:53 -0500
No, sorry, Cory, I beg to differ: that is absolutely not the knee-jerk
reaction.     (01)

Rather, there are computational complexity classes based on problems
you want to solve, in terms of space and time, which are in fact the
normal definition of complexity in computer science. Language
complexity has until recently had little to do with that notion. Now it
does.    (02)

Descriptive complexity is new.    (03)

We are not talking yet about user complexity. Yes, I would say a
million statements are much more complex for a user than 1 statement
which generalizes those. A schema or ontology or theory or grammar
describes potentially an infinite number of items. The pattern (those
are all patterns), just like a scientific theory, covers items you have
not yet seen or potentially imagined (because you don't yet know the
full ramifications of the pattern/theory).    (04)

When we get into user intent, we have to extend our usual formal
semantics to include formal pragmatics issues (that is the definition
of formal pragmatics, i.e., semantics in context according to use and
intent).     (05)

Thanks,
Leo     (06)

Dr. Leo Obrst       The MITRE Corporation, Information Semantics
lobrst@xxxxxxxxx    Center for Innovative Computing & Informatics
Voice: 703-983-6770 7515 Colshire Drive, M/S H305
Fax: 703-983-1379   McLean, VA 22102-7508, USA     (07)