Re: [ontology-summit] dimensions/aspects of ontology types?

To: Ontology Summit 2007 Forum <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Ontology Summit 2007 Forum" <ontology-summit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Smith, Barry" <phismith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2007 16:10:04 -0500
Some modifications to Leo's proposed specifications    (01)

>Dimensions of Ontology Types:
>
>1) Formality: Informal (Formality = 0)  vs. Formal (Formality = 1)
>2) Expressivity: Expressivity of the semantic model (i.e., underlying
>knowledge
>representation language or logic) [No scale determined yet]
>3) Concept-based: Term (Concept-based = 0) vs. concept (real world
>referent)(Concept-based = 1)    (02)

I assume that the salient opposition here is whether an ontology is    (03)

concept-based (the terms in the ontology refer to concepts = ideas in
the minds of experts, meanings, units of knowledge [defenders of
concept-based ontologies should specify which]    (04)

reality-based (the terms in the ontology are intended to refer to
universals (types, kinds), to collections (sets, classes) of
instances, or to some combination of these two    (05)

>4) Mathematical Ordering: Mathematical ordering, structure, definition
>of the privileged
>parent-child relation: [No scale determined yet]    (06)

I assume that the privileged parent-child relation should be the is-a
(is a subtype / is a subconcept of) relation; I do not know what is
meant by 'mathematical ordering'    (07)

>5) Application focus/use cases, etc. (part of this is precision of the
>service needed, e.g., metadata/topic terms for a document to aid in
>broad doc topic retrieval vs. a semantic service query, specfication,
>or composition): [No scale determined  yet]    (08)

Proposed scale: does an ontology have a plurality of independent users    (09)

>6) Granularity (precision, scope): [No scale determined yet]    (010)

I think granularity, precision and scope are three different things    (011)

>7) Development Philosophy: Empirical (bottom-up) [0] vs. Rationalist
>(top-down) development [1]
>methodology (i.e., arbitrary folks add or annotate terms/concepts vs. a
>rigorous ontology development) [No scale determined yet; Some
>combination? Middle-out? But what does that mean?]
>8) Human-Coded: Human-coded [1] vs. machine-learned/generated [0]    (012)

human coded means also: validated by experts    (013)

>9) Automated reasoning (and complexity of that, i.e., one could have
>transitive closure or subsumption down a subclass graph vs.
>theorem-proving): [No scale determined yet]
>10) Descriptive vs. prescriptive (i.e., a commonsense or
>conceptually-profligate ontology vs. an ontology that specifies that
>this is the way the world is): [No scale determined yet]    (014)

BS     (015)