ontology-based-standards

Re: [ontology-based-standards] other standards working groups

To: ontology-based-standards <ontology-based-standards@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Ed Dodds <dodds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 07:46:25 -0600
I don't know if this will inform the discussion in a meaningful way but I saw the following SIBOS related blog excerpt around the time Peter's email came in:

Forget standards ... you'll never get one

http://thefinanser.co.uk/fsclub/2012/10/forget-standards-youll-never-get-one.html

Anyways, after coffee I got into a chat with the Standards Forum and one of their brethren told me that banks are childish about standards.

Childish?

Yes, he said.  I deal with many industries – automotive, airlines, utilities and more – and banks are really juvenile when it comes to agreeing standards.  For example, I asked a group of senior bankers the other day: “how many legs are there in an OTC Derivative exchange”.

One said two, the two counterparties; another said three or four, if you include the end customer; and two others said an infinite number.

Then they argued about it and could not agree.

I said: “there you go.  If you cannot even agree on a simple question about OTC Derivatives, you will never agree global standards.”

I laughed and asked what the solution was.

He said: “avoid a global standard as you will never have one.  You’ve tried for years and you will never agree such a thing.  Instead, work on adapters.”

In other words, like electricity, we need plug adapters to our networks, not standards.

Totally agree with that.

Talking of which, it’s time to jump into the discussion about T2S, ISO20022 and EMIR.

Ah yes, the challenges of interoperability.