ontolog-invitation

[ontolog-invitation] Ontolog invited speaker session - Adam Cheyer & Tom

To: "[ontolog-invitation]" <ontolog-invitation@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Peter Yim <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 12:14:35 -0800
Re: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2010_02_25    (01)

You are cordially invited to join us at the Ontolog Invited Speaker
session scheduled for next Thursday, February 25, 2010.    (02)

Time and again, we have been asked , "what can ontologies help do?"
... I suppose we will be getting one very compelling answer at the
session. Joining us then will be our invited speakers Mr. Adam Cheyer
and Dr. Tom Gruber, from Siri, Inc. who will be making a presentation
entitled: ""Siri: An Ontology-driven Application for the Masses."    (03)

Abstract:    (04)

   Siri is a Virtual Personal Assistant ... more specifically, an
intelligent software one would download into his mobile device (like
an iPhone or a Nexus One phone) and have it start "doing" things for
you like an assistant.    (05)

   Siri was born out of SRI's CALO Project (which Adam had presented
at the Ontolog Forum before back in 2006), the largest Artificial
Intelligence project in U.S. history. (CALO stands for Cognitive
Assistant that Learns and Organizes). Made possible by a $150 million
DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) investment, the CALO
Project included 25 research organizations and institutions and
spanned 5 years.    (06)

   Among other accolades, Siri has been recognized by the MIT
Technology Review as one of their "TR 10" in 2009 - the magazine's
annual recognition of the list of top 10 emerging technologies that
can change the way we live.    (07)

   Started in 2007 in a stealth mode, Siri has finally released their
product earlier this month. We are glad Adam and Tom (who co-founded
Siri, along with Dag Kittlaus) can come and give us this talk and a
demo on this brainchild of theirs and their team.    (08)

As before, a Q&A and open discussion segment is planned for this
session, and will take place right after the speakers' presentations.    (09)

Please refer to full agenda and details (including dial-in numbers for
more European countries) at the session wiki page
at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2010_02_25    (010)

This event, like all Ontolog virtual events, is open and free of
charge. Anyone who is interested, or (better still) who may have
something to contribute, is welcome. Please refer to event details on
the session page, to which the hyperlink is given above, where you
will find session agenda, conference call dial-in, slides and other
pertinent information. Feel free to pass this invitation along to
colleagues who may also find these sessions to be of interest.    (011)

*RSVP* by emailing Peter Yim at <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx> offline (or add
yourself directly to the session page if you are already an Ontolog
member) so that we can prepare enough resources to support everyone.
[Please state clearly the date of the session you are registering for
in your email.]    (012)

This session will be recorded and made available in a publicly
accessible archive. Therefore, before participating, please make sure
you are cognizant of our IPR policy (ref:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid32).    (013)

Regards. =ppy    (014)

Peter P. Yim
Co-convener, ONTOLOG