ontolog-invitation

[ontolog-invitation] Ontolog virtual events in June-2008

To: ontolog-invitation@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Peter Yim" <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 22:33:07 -0700
****************** Headlines ***********************    (01)

We have lined up four exciting events for the month of June 2008, and
take pleasure in inviting you to join us:    (02)

 *Thu 05 Jun 2008* - Professor William McCarthy (Michigan State
University) will be giving a talk on  "Ontologically-Driven Standards
Development for Business Process Systems." ... *RSVP now*!    (03)

 *Thu 12 Jun 2008* - Dr. Christopher Welty (IBM Research), chair of
the W3C RIF Working Group, will present on the next in semantic web
standards - "Rules Interchange Format (RIF)."    (04)

 *Thu 19 Jun 2008* - Dr. Mark Greaves (Vulcan) and his panel will be
talking about the intriguing HALO project, as they emerge from stealth
mode after a recent comprehensive evaluation of their Phase-II
results.    (05)

 *Thu 26 Jun 2008* - we will be having a panel session on "Rules in
Semantic Web Applications." Our panelists will include (chair) Dr. Leo
Obrst (MITRE), Dr. Jos de Bruijn (Free University of Bozen-Bolzano,
Italy), Mr. Martin O'Connor (Stanford) & Mr. Mike Dean (BBN)    (06)

 *Register your attendance* by emailing <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx> off-line.
Please specify the date of name of the session(s) you are registering
for.    (07)

******************** Details ************************    (08)

As part of the invited speaker series (which started in May-2003), we
are proud to continue to present some of the best work, from around
the world, that is relevant to the community. You are cordially
invited to join us at the four upcoming sessions this month:    (09)

 *Thu 05 Jun 2008* - Professor William McCarthy (Michigan State
University) will be giving a talk on  "Ontologically-Driven Standards
Development for Business Process Systems." Professor McCarthy will
discuss the challenges for researchers and developers trying to build
standards for business process interoperability and share his insights
gained through the experience in creating the REA ontology (originally
posed as an accounting domain theory) and its realization in one final
international standard (the Open-edi Business Transaction Model
[ISO/IEC 15944-4]) and in one ongoing standards development project
(the REA Specialization Module for the UN/CEFACT Modeling Methodology
[UMM]) ... Please refer to details on the session page at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2008_06_05    (010)

 *Thu 12 Jun 2008* - Dr. Christopher Welty (IBM Research), chair of
the W3C RIF Working Group, will present on the next in semantic web
standards - "Rules Interchange Format (RIF)." After working for the
last 2.5 years, the W3C RIF WG has finally settled on a "Basic Logic
Dialect" (RIF-BLD) as a core rules language for logic-based rule
systems (e.g. FOL, stable-model LP, well founded LP, etc.). In this
talk Dr. Welty will review RIF-BLD, its syntax and semantics, and talk
about future plans. ... Please refer to details on the session page
at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2008_06_12    (011)

 *Thu 19 Jun 2008* - since Phase-I, the HALO project has long been
considered one of the biggest challenges put in front of semantic
technology and AI researchers. Dr. Mark Greaves (who manages the HALO
project now at Vulcan) and his panel from the HALO participant
research groups will be talking about their recent work and results
from, their most sophisticated practical applications of semantic
wikis. ... Please refer to details (closer to the time) on the session
page at: http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2008_06_19    (012)

 *Thu 26 Jun 2008* - this popularly requested panel session (promised
since Oct. 2007) on "Rules in Semantic Web Applications" is finally
materializing. On the panel will be (chair) Dr. Leo Obrst (MITRE), Dr.
Jos de Bruijn (Free University of Bozen-Bolzano, Italy), Mr. Martin
O'Connor (Stanford) & Mr. Mike Dean (BBN). ... Please refer to details
(closer to the time) on the session page at:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?ConferenceCall_2008_06_26    (013)

*RSVP* by emailing Peter Yim at <peter.yim@xxxxxxxx> offline so that
we can prepare enough resources to support everyone. State clearly the
date of the session you are registering for.    (014)

The sessions will be recorded. Before participating, please make sure
you are cognizant of our IPR policy (ref:
http://ontolog.cim3.net/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WikiHomePage#nid32).    (015)

Regards.  =ppy    (016)

Peter Yim
Co-convener, Ontolog