Re: [ontolog-forum] Prospects made into Customers and Vice Versa

To: Thomas Johnston <tmj44p@xxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Edward Barkmeyer <ebarkmeyer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 06:26:27 +0000

Tom,

I agree with this, and I would hope that most of us do:

I identify relational tables as types whose tokens are the rows of those tables. By aligning this interpretation with the perhaps more familiar one of relational tables as statement schemas and rows of those tables as statements resulting from instantiating each of the variables in those schemas …

Since the definition of a Table is essentially the rules for the valid structure and content of a row, it seems clear that a table is, or at least conveys, a type of which the rows are instances/tokens.  In a similar way, if a row is seen as a statement, then the table is a grammatical pattern (i.e., type) for the statement.

I am not sure why you say “instantiating each of the variables in those schemas (existentially-quantified statements)”.  If I take the parenthetical phrase to characterize 'schemas', I think it is false.  The existence of a table (like the existence of any predicate) does not assert the existence of any row that satisfies it.  The interpretation we impose on the row-as-statement asserts the existence of some state of affairs in the world that the table content models, and the corresponding existence of the things (denoted by values) that play roles (denoted by variables/columns) in that state of affairs.  And I assume that must be what you meant.

'Existence' is always in a particular world/universe, and the average business database these days may cover a complex of actualities, hypotheses, and facts about types-as-things (as in decision tables) – a world that consists of different kinds of worlds.

-Ed