Re: [ontolog-forum] A Question About Logic

To: Thomas Johnston <tmj44p@xxxxxxx>, Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Thomas Johnston <tmj44p@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 20:23:19 +0000 (UTC)
Please ignore the text below, which begins "10/17/2015". It was a working draft, and I didn't mean to post it. The reply I want to post follows immediately below, and ends with that "10/17/2015".

10/18/2015.
Pat,
You said:
<<<Frankly, this looks to me like a non-solution to a non-problem. Sorry to be so blunt. >>>
No problems. You're a logician, and I'm not. Nonetheless, I have some background in the philosophy of logic. And I think that this exchange is worth pursuing, if just a little further. That is, worth it to me, and possibly worth it to a few others here at OntoLog. And worth it to you, because I think you've made a mistake about "some" and "exists".

And here's a passage from the SEP article Ontological Commitment, which you recommended to me. It suggests that I have not been describing a "non-solution to a non-problem".

" ... the quantifiers of first-order logic, properly understood, do not carry existential commitment; they are not 'existentially loaded'. Indeed, calling 'Ex' the 'existential quantifier' is a misnomer; it would be better to call it the 'particular quantifier' in contrast with the 'universal quantifier'. Ordinary language, on its face, supports the view that quantification need not be existentially loaded. ... (p.23)

(I read this just an hour ago. The rest of this reply, down to where I quote an extended version of this passage, was written several hours before I read that material. I must say, I was quite chuffed ("chuffed": (British) to be pleased with oneself.) to find this passage.

So here goes. I begun with my point about types; the point about ontological commitment comes after that.

-----
I said:
<<< ... why not distinguish predicates in predicate logic as (i) predicates identifying the type that the particular(s) in the subject position of the statements belong to (if any such should exist), and (ii) predicates which ascribe properties or relationships to those particulars.>>>

You replied:
<<<Right. As I briefly mentioned, this would be a multi-sorted logic, in which your types are the sorts. Quantification is always relative to a type (all fish..., there exists a man..., but never just plain forall or exists) and the type name is required by the syntax rules to be attached to the quantifier. There are many versions of this kind of logic, varying in part by how complex the system of types/sorts is allowed to be and how much one can say about them.>>>

Actually, I was thinking of something that I hadn't seen included in typed (multi-sorted) logics. I was thinking of distinguishing two kinds of types -- types of particulars and types of properties/relationships of particulars. I will call the former kinds, and the latter features. Grammatically, kinds are the types of subject terms, and features are the types of predicate terms – NPs and VPs, if you will. And both are instances of universals – the one of universal kinds, the other of universal features.

On the standard view, kinds and features are both universals. (I'm using "universals" and "types" interchangeably.) Kinds are universals that are instantiated by particulars. Features are universals that are instantiated by properties of particulars or relationships among them. (These are standard distinctions in Philosophy, going back to Aristotle, and are part of the background ontology of natural language.)

So "Some dragons breathe fire". Its NP identifies a kind – dragons. Its VP identifies a predicate – breathes fire. (Previously, I used a subscript "t" to represent kinds and "p" for features. I should have used "k" and "f".)

I said:
<<<...why not separate the "All" and "Some" distinction from the "exists" attribution?>>>
And you replied:
<<<I confess that this simply does not make sense to me. What is the difference between "some" and "exists"? Some dogs are happy exactly when happy dogs exist; what is the difference here?>>>

Here's the difference.
I might want to express the thought that, if dogs did exist, some of them would be happy. Or the thought that, if dragons existed, some of them would be fire-breathing. Some dogs; some dragons; but no ontological commitment, no need to agree that such things really exist. The natural language sense of "some" does not presuppose (and certainly does not entail) existence, although I agree that the most typical uses of "some" probably do presuppose existence (and so this presupposition could be the default case).
Conversely, I might want to express the thought that there really are dogs, and all of them are renates, or that some of them are friendly. Or the thought that there really are dragons, and all of them have wings, or that some of them are fire-breathing. All dogs; all dragons; some dogs; some dragons. And an ontological commitment to both, i.e. an expressed or implied assertion of their existence. "All" can presuppose existence just as readily as "some" can. And "Some" can refrain from a presupposition of existence, just as much as "All" can.

And besides being sure of some things that they exist, and sure of other things that they do not exist, there are also things whose existence is, to me, questionable. So that's why I suggested three "existence values" rather than just two.

I can talk about all dogs, or about some dogs, and in either case, I can express a belief in the existence of dogs, a belief in their non-existence, or an agnosticism about their existence. (This the rational for my E, ~E and ?E).

-----

You said:
<<<Why is ?Ex foo not just the disjunction ( Ex foo or ~Ex foo ) ?>>>
Good point. But why not express a "maybe" ontological commitment with a three-valued existence operator – those values being yes (E), no(~E), maybe (?E).

-----

It's now 3:30pm on the 18th. I stopped writing the material above about three hours ago. An hour ago, I resumed the SEP article you recommended, Ontological Commitment. Here is an extended passage from that article, with some comments of mine interspersed.

"According to the third objection to sufficiency, the quantifiers of first-order logic, properly understood, do not carry existential commitment; they are not 'existentially loaded'. Indeed, calling 'Ex' the 'existential quantifier' is a misnomer; it would be better to call it the 'particular quantifier' in contrast with the 'universal quantifier'. Ordinary language, on its face, supports the view that quantification need not be existentially loaded. ... One only gets existential import when one restricts the quantifier, explicitly or implicitly, with an existence predicate. (my italics) Thus, the correct translation into first-order logic of 'dragons exist' is not 'Ex Dragon(x)', but 'Ex (Exists(x) and Dragon(x)'. The quantifier 'Ex', by itself, is neutral with respect to existence. (Pronounce 'Ex' 'for some x', not 'there exists an x'.) (my italics) ...
In response to the fictional Meinongian Wyman, Quine offers 'to give Wyman the word 'exist'. I'll try not to use it again. I still have 'is'. ... Indeed, Quine could have also given the (radical) Meinongian the word 'is' and any other predicate that purports to impose an ontological restriction on the quantifier; for what is central to Quine's criterion is that one cannot quantify over entities without incurring ontological commitment to those entities.
...some Meinongians explicitly deny that they are ontologically committed to what they quantify over when their quantifiers are not existentially loaded..." (pp.24-25)

And that's me, although I object to being called a Meinongian. I'm much more an Ockhamist.

Another difference between this approach (which the author calls "Meinongian Quantifiers" and the one I suggest is that I think "may exist" is just as important, in natural language reasoning, as "exists" and "does not exist", and so our existence operator needs to be three-valued. But that's a separate issue. The main point of this passage is that others beside myself do not agree with conflating existence claims and the "Some" quantifier.

This is a good point for me to end my side of the discussion, unless you or John have specific points you would like to continue to discuss. Both of you suppose conflating ontological commitment with the "Some" operator. (Later in Ontological Commitment, the author quotes Arthur Fine, who has an argument that ontological commitment should be conflated with the "All" quantifier. But I don't side with either of you (and your Quinean position), or with Fine. Putting "There is" or "There exists" together with one of the quantifiers was, as I said earlier, a choice. And as I said, then and now, I think it was wrong to do that, and I've provided arguments explaining why I think it was wrong.

Thanks for listening, and participating.

Regards,

Tom

----------
ignore the following material
----------
10/17/2015.
Pat,

I said:
<<<> ... why not distinguish predicates in predicate logic as (i) predicates identifying the type that the particular(s) in the subject position of the statements belong to (if any such should exist), and (ii) predicates which ascribe properties or relationships to those particulars.>>>

You replied:
<<<Right. As I briefly mentioned, this would be a multi-sorted logic, in which your types are the sorts. Quantification is always relative to a type (all fish..., there exists a man..., but never just plain forall or exists) and the type name is required by the syntax rules to be attached to the quantifier. There are many versions of this kind of logic, varying in part by how complex the system of types/sorts is allowed to be and how much one can say about them. >>>

I guess I was thinking of distinguishing two kinds of types -- types of particulars and types of properties/relationships of particulars. In my terminology: kinds and features. Both kinds and features are universals. Kinds are instantiated by particulars; Features are instantiated by properties of particulars or relationships among them. (These are standard distinctions in Philosophy, going back to Aristotle, and are part of the background ontology of natural language.)

And I was thinking of atomic statements, like "Car #1 is blue" and "Car #2 is blue" as associating particulars (Car #1 and Car #2) with their type (Car), and then ascribing a property to it. In trope theory, the blue color of each car is also a particular; but, true to Aristotle, it's a particular that exists only because a particular of some type "has" it. Trope theory is a form of extreme nominalism, and if we allow ourselves to be realists, we will say that both cars have the same color.

You said:
<<<Frankly, this looks to me like a non-solution to a non-problem. Sorry to be so blunt. >>>
No problems. If I were a logician talking to a bright but somewhat stubborn graduate student, I might be somewhat blunt myself. And I think our exchanges aren't far off that model. I do think I'm to some degree qualified to talk about the philosophy of logic. But I am no logician -- nowhere close. Nonetheless, this exchange seems to me worth pursuing, if just a little further. That is, worth it to me, and possibly worth it to a few others here at OntoLog.

So here goes.
-----

I said:
[...]

Conversely, I might want to express the thought that there really are dogs, and all of them are renates. Or the thought that there really are dragons, and all of them have wings. All dogs; all dragons; with an ontological commitment to both, i.e. an expressed or implied assertion of their existence. "All" can presuppose existence just as readily as "some" can. And "Some" can refrain from a presupposition of existence, just as much as "All" can.

And besides being sure of some things that they exist, and sure of other things that they exist, there are also things whose existence is, to me, questionable. So that's why I suggested three "existence values" rather than just two.

the difference between "some" and "exists". I can talk about all dogs, or about some dogs, and in either case, I can express a belief in the existence of dogs, a belief in their non-existence, or an agnosticism about their existence. (This the rational for E, ~E and ?E).

-----

You said:
<<<Why is ?Ex foo  not just the disjunction  ( Ex foo or ~Ex foo ) ?>>>
Good point. But why not express a "maybe" ontological commitment with a three-valued existence operator (which, of course, is now not a quantifier) -- those values being yes (E), no(~E), maybe (?E).

-----

On Saturday, October 17, 2015 8:23 PM, Pat Hayes <phayes@xxxxxxx> wrote:

On Oct 16, 2015, at 10:02 PM, Thomas Johnston <tmj44p@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Pat,
> This addresses just one point you made in your lengthy response. (BTW, I am studying the Ontological Commitment article in SEP. It is, unsurprisingly, excellent.)
>
> 10/16/2015.
> Pat asked me what a predicate logic that I liked would look like. Well, I can't spell it out (and if I did, I might find myself wandering down dead-end alleys), but here are two things I'd like to see included (or to understand why including them wouldn't work):
> First, as I suggested yesterday, why not distinguish predicates in predicate logic as (i) predicates identifying the type that the particular(s) in the subject position of the statements belong to (if any such should exist), and (ii) predicates which ascribe properties or relationships to those particulars.

Right. As I briefly mentioned, this would be a multi-sorted logic, in which your types are the sorts. Quantification is always relative to a type (all fish..., there exists a man..., but never just plain forall or exists) and the type name is required by the syntax rules to be attached to the quantifier. There are many versions of this kind of logic, varying in part by how complex the system of types/sorts is allowed to be and how much one can say about them.

> Second, why not separate the "All" and "Some" distinction from the "exists" attribution.

I confess that this simply does not make sense to me. What is the difference between "some" and "exists"? Some dogs are happy exactly when happy dogs exist; what is the difference here?

> The first distinction would qualify statements with "All" ("A") or "Some" (S"); the second would qualify statements with "Exists" (E), "Does not exist" (~E)" or "May or may not exist" (?E).

Why is ?Ex foo  not just the disjunction  ( Ex foo or ~Ex foo ) ?

> Here are eight examples. Each one has, in order, (i) the natural language statement to be expressed formally; (ii) the formal _expression_; and (iii) the literal translation from the formal _expression_ back into natural language.
> Using my eight statements as examples (extension to Pat's examples should be straightforward):
> (i) "There are dogs." ExSx(Dtx). "There exists an x whose type is Dog".

Why is this not simply ExDtx ? (If there is a distinction between them, what is this difference? Can you say what one of them would entail that the other does not?)  And a technical question: your formula appears to have x bound by two binders, which is syntactically illegal. Is the x in the subformula  SxDtx  free, or bound by S? If the former, what is the syntactic relationship between Sx and Dtx? If the latter, the x in the outer Ex would seem to have no connection to the bound x in the inner formula.

> (I think that ExAx(Dtx) is equivalent, and that this supports my contention that if there are some dogs, there are also all dogs.)
> (ii) "There aren't any dogs." ~ExAx(Dtx). "There exists no x whose type is Dog". (I think that ~ExSx(Dtx) is equivalent, and that this supports my contention that if there are all dogs, there are also some dogs.)
> (iii) "If there are any dogs, some of them will be friendly." ?ExSx(Dtx & Fpx). "There may or may not exist xs whose type is Dog, and if any such exist, some will have the property of being friendly."

Your English sentence has a conditional in it, which is missing from your proposed formalization. Seems to me the correct formalization is
?ExDtx  & (ExDtx ->  SxFpx)
but I confess to not really following how the E operator is supposed to work.

> (iv) "If there are any dogs, all of them will be renates". ?ExAx(Dtx & Rpx). "There may or may not exist xs whose type is Dog, and if any such exist, all of them will have the property of being a renate."
> (v) "There are dogs, and some of them are friendly." ExSx(Dtx & Fpx). "There are xs whose type is Dog, and some of them have the property of being friendly."
> (vi) "There are dogs, and all of them are renates." ExAx(Dtx & Rpx) There are xs whose type is Dog, and all of them have the property of being renates."
> (vii) "If there are any dogs, some of them will not be black". ?ExSx(Dtx & ~Bpx). "There may or may not exist xs whose type is Dog, and if any such exist, some of them will have the property of not being black."
> (viii) "If there are any dogs, none of them will be made of gold". ?ExAx(Dtx & ~Gpx). "There may or may not exist xs whose type is Dog, and if any such exist, all of them will have the property of not being made of gold."
> Of course, this is just the beginning of sketching out a predicate logic with these features. One thing to note is that it will require a three-valued logic.

? It will? Why??

> Another thing to note is that rules of inference have not been stated, nor deMorgan-like equivalences. But I still believe that this approach allows us to express natural language statements in a formalism, without forcing us to say things we don't want to say.

Frankly, this looks to me like a non-solution to a non-problem. Sorry to be so blunt.

Pat