[ontolog-forum] Cognitive Models approach to Categorization

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <metasemantics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2015 14:07:13 -0700

Ontologizers all,

I have previously been conceptualizing the Formal Concept Analysis (FCA) method of categorization as the de facto standard for classification.

But I have now been reading Lakoff's "Women, Fire and Dangerous Things" where he proposes a different method which he claims works for certain kinds of categories, though not others:

The cognitive models approach to categorization is an attempt to make sense of all these observations. It is motivated by:

               - a need to understand what kinds of prototype effects there are and what their sources are

               - a need to account for categorization not merely for physical objects, but in abstract conceptual domains--emotions, spatial relations, social relationships, language, etc.

               - a need for empirical study of the nature of cognitive models

               - a need for appropriate theoretical and philosophical underpinnings for prototype theory.

For example, he states that all the inputs, controls, outputs, mechanisms and enclosed lower level activities (ICOMAs) in an action provides a category which I have been calling a "context" of the action.  But the title of the book was chosen to show that no two of the elements of the category have the same type, much less the same evaluations.

Note: he doesn't actually use the words ICOMAs etc; I interpreted his statements that IDEF way.  Your review may differ.

That seems to imply that formal concept analysis (FCA), which tallies property columns in a table of entity rows, only works on basic level objects for categorization.  Categorization of experiential things (actions, activities, events ...) must not be done in the same way as for FCA entities, i.e. not with FCA methods of identifying the entities.

Yet both kinds of categories, Lakoff observed by those pesky humans that just won't behave linguistically simply.

I would prefer to consider the experiential part to be a set of events which describe the action, activity, superordinate event, etc.  Any set of events with time stamps, IMHO,  tells a story of what that concept is, does, and all the relevant activities related to that concept would be indexed on the events, so quickly retrievable in order.  Therefore fast to operate as inverted files.

Comments anyone?  Suggestions?  References?

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper,

Rich Cooper,

Chief Technology Officer,

MetaSemantics Corporation

MetaSemantics AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com

( 9 4 9 ) 5 2 5-5 7 1 2

http://www.EnglishLogicKernel.com