Re: [ontolog-forum] Ontologies and languages

To: "[ontolog-forum] " <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Edward Barkmeyer <ebarkmeyer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2015 20:52:07 +0000

Juan,

An ontology is a set of concepts that are formalized in some language.

Let us first take the position that a ‘language’ is a vocabulary together with a grammar/syntax for constructing sentences (complete thoughts) that have a more or less well-defined interpretation into ‘propositions’ = utterances that can be evaluated (or at least claimed) to be true or false.

Then an ‘ontology’ is not a language.  An ontology supplies the vocabulary for such a language, and it typically uses the syntax of a formal language to express many sentences that have a well-defined interpretation as propositions.  The formal interpretation of such propositions, and some kinds of inference from it, can (usually or always, this is debatable) be automated.  But the metaphysical interpretation of such propositions depends not only on the interpretation of the grammatical structures but also on an understanding of the concepts denoted by the vocabulary terms (‘semantics’).  This last is beyond the competence of any current automaton.

Those who say that an ontology *is* a language a language apparently think of a ‘language’ as only a vocabulary.  I don’t think any linguist or semanticist would agree.  The conventions of a grammar are also very important to conveying any kind of complex meaning.   Those who say that an ontology *defines* a language mean (I hope) that the vocabulary it specifies, together with the formal language/grammar that was used to express the vocabulary, constitutes a ‘language’.  And I can agree with that.

-Ed

Edward J. Barkmeyer

Thematix Partners

Email: ebarkmeyer@xxxxxxxxxxxx