Re: [ontolog-forum] Watch out Watson: Here comes Amazon Machine Learning

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <metasemantics@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2015 07:39:16 -0700

Ravi and Hans,

RS> I see us converging to the idea that ontology is related to "self" as individual

I certainly believe that is true.

RS> but why could we also not have the same also shareable in some sense to be able to extend experience and learning across individuals.

Yes evolution and for that matter nature is related to differentiation, however is not there a need for synthesis to achieve common understanding?

What would be the cause of any statistical gradient that improves survivability of the entire population through sharing of knowledge?

Anthropologists believe that we have not been competing with animals for many thousands of years, but instead that we are actively competing with other humans on a daily basis.  We compete with each other as well as help each other.

Therefore, there is more of a taxis for an individual human to adapt his beliefs for matching some group for which that individual can consider his own self interest satisfiable, than there is a taxis for all people to come together as one and share without limit (music is playing ... ).

Like you, I do believe it is an important goal to share knowledge with other people, but the free market already makes that happen, especially constrained by the intellectual property protections that all developed countries have created in law, and occasionally made enforceable.  That knowledge is not free; it costs money for the developer to create the knowledge, and wise national policy should encourage that such invested money should be repaid with profit in return for the development costs of the knowledge, so long as the knowledge is then shared with the population at large.

The fact that knowledge can be stored in cheap computer memories means that sending the knowledge to another person is nearly free in marginal costs.  But the development costs still have to be repaid somehow or else development by the smaller more creative entities will cease.  Since they are the main source of jobs by far, that would be regrettable.

Sincerely,

Rich Cooper,

Rich Cooper,

Chief Technology Officer,

MetaSemantics Corporation

MetaSemantics AT EnglishLogicKernel DOT com

( 9 4 9 ) 5 2 5-5 7 1 2

http://www.EnglishLogicKernel.com