[ontolog-forum] From Computational Linguistics to Computational Ontologi

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John Bottoms <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 07:40:56 -0400
All,    (01)

Matilde Marcolli at Caltech teaches a course in Computational
Linguistics. The website lists an impressive array of foundational
material for a '100 level course. See "Additional Reading" and
"Additional references".:
> http://www.its.caltech.edu/~matilde/CS101Winter2015.html    (02)

The course, CS101: Mathematical and Computational Linguistic, inherits
its material from linguistics but also borrows from the new field of
Complex Systems analysis. As far as I know, there are no courses in
systems analysis for ontologies. Schools are adding new directions to
their structure. See U.Michigan's "Center for the Study of Complex
Systems" and MIT's "Institute for Data, Systems, and Society".    (03)

I can't help but imagine what a comparable course in ontology would look
like. For me a person's ideas lurk behind linguistics and these are part
and parcel of ontologies. Yet we have few studies that discuss the
interface between them. Language is often tied to speech yet it is more
loosely related than ontologies. There also needs to be an examination
of how new explorations can be used to reveal the structure and uses of
ontologies. Even traditional case studies and interviews might be useful
here in addition to crowd sourcing approaches.    (04)

The studies of ontology are lacking in comprehensive curriculum and even
the few that exist are not keeping pace with the new direction in
complex analysis. There are book abounding on the history of AI and the
Semantic Web documentation is extensive. It is time for a '100 level
course in Ontology.    (05)

-John Bottoms
  Concord, MA USA    (06)