Re: [ontolog-forum] How the 'Internet of Everyday Things' could turn any

To: ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2015 08:26:08 -0500
Yes, but...    (01)

There are serious security issues.  Note the quotation below.    (02)

The challenge is to make systems easier to use for legitimate
users, while keeping out the bad guys.    (03)

John
_____________________________________________________________    (04)

http://www.crn.com/news/security/300075938/internet-of-things-might-be-greatest-risk-to-security-privacy-sophos-researcher.htm    (05)

"I have spent a lot of time breaking the Internet of Things," Lyne told
the audience.    (06)

 From networked power switches in our homes to CCTV systems streaming
video of stores and schools, these "smart" devices are being sold with
astonishingly outdated security, Lyne said.    (07)

Most IoT devices hit the market with security technology reminiscent of
2004, Lyne said. Hackers simply write scripts to find vulnerable
devices, then commandeer them to infiltrate individuals, companies and
public institutions.    (08)

That's just the beginning. "There are more serious prospects coming," he
said, describing a penetration test that revealed the ease with which a
cybercriminal could cripple a power station.    (09)

People aren't getting hacked by super viruses, Lyne said. It's just
run-of-the-mill attacks that are only successful because users, and
often vendors, fail to implement basic best practices.    (010)