Re: [ontolog-forum] OACES (Organized ACE Specifications)

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: joseph simpson <jjs0sbw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 19:13:38 -0700
Any pointers to introductory tutorials?

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 5:24 AM, John F Sowa <sowa@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Following is an article about using ACE for organizing and
managing readable specifications that can be unambiguously
translated to first-order logic:

http://homepages.abdn.ac.uk/w.w.vasconcelos/pages//publications/specifications_in_the_large.pdf

Excerpts below.

John

One advantage of ACE as a specification language is that it is not
required that its users learn a formal notation for communication
and get fluent in it before they can actually start using it.
Software practitioners can write specifications in a familiar
format, their only major concern being the linguistic limitations
of ACE's adopted subset of English...

We are currently developing an environment for writing specifications
in ACE.  To tackle issues inherent in large bodies of textual
information aimed at humans, we employ automatic and manual means
with which ACE specifications can be organised and presented for
management and reuse. Our environment, called OACES (Organised
Attempto Controlled English Specifications) can be seen as
a tool to prepare and manage a library of specifications in ACE...

Currently, our OACES tool can only be run locally, that is, the source
Prolog code must be provided for each of its users. We have however
started to develop an interface so as to allow remote users to
experiment with OACES via the World-Wide-Web.

Joe Simpson
"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."  J. R.R. Tolkien