[ontolog-forum] Marina Santini's course in Linguistics

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2014 17:50:53 -0700
I found a course (by Marina Santini in Sweden's
Uppsala University).  Her home page shows the
first few lectures, along with many other items of
linguistic interest.  But I found 7 lecture notes
which she posted to explain the math very clearly.    (01)

Here are the URLs:
Marina's Lecture Slides on NLP and Corpus Analysis
-------
http://www.slideshare.net/marinasantini1/lecture-1
-introduction-tothecourse
http://www.slideshare.net/marinasantini1/lecture-2
-fromsemanticstoapplications
http://www.slideshare.net/marinasantini1/lecture-3
-probabilitytheory
http://www.slideshare.net/marinasantini1/lecture2-
statistical-inference
http://www.slideshare.net/fullscreen/marinasantini
1/lecture-5-bayesian-classification/1
http://www.slideshare.net/fullscreen/gendrong/1ed-
jurafsky-martin-chap6ngram/1
http://www.slideshare.net/marinasantini1/lecture-6
-39243943
http://www.slideshare.net/marinasantini1/lecture-7
-hidden-markov-models-hmms     (02)

I think she is going to offer more lectures before
the course is over.  But for those seeking a
simple equation description of linguistic filters
and predictive functions, she provides useful
guidance, including the need for "discounts" to
offset zero count N-grams and such adjustments to
the usual statistical models.    (03)

-Rich    (04)

Sincerely,
Rich Cooper