Re: [ontolog-forum] Cognitive Informatics

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Doug McDavid <dougmcdavid@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 00:51:56 -0700
That's interesting, Rich, but that description is not the way at least some coaches behave.  You might want to take a brief look at Timothy Gallwey of "Inner Game" fame.  His idea is to deflect the attention of a student from the error and focus on some simpl instruction that leads to success.  Here is a description from the Wikipedia article on the GROW coaching method:
"This is often illustrated by the example of a player who does not keep his or her eye on the ball. Most coaches would give instructions such as: ‘Keep your eye on the ball’ to try to correct this. The problem with this sort of instruction is that a player will be able to follow it for a short while but be unable to keep it in the front of his or her mind in the long term. This means that progress was slow. The result was that coaches and players grew increasingly frustrated at the slowness of progress but no one had better system of coaching.

So one day, instead of giving an instruction, Gallwey asked the player to say `bounce' out loud when the ball bounced and `hit' out loud when they hit it.

The result was that the players started to improve without a lot of effort because they were keeping their eye on the ball. But because of the way the instruction was given they did not have a voice in their heads saying ‘I must keep my eye on the ball.’ They were simply playing a simple game while they were playing tennis. Once Gallwey saw how play could be improved in this way he stopped giving instructions and started asking questions that would help the player discover for himself what worked and what needed to change. This was the birth of the Inner Game."
We see here two coaching methods, one of which that stresses some desired behavior "Keep your eye on the ball", and other, Gallwey method that has instruction that indirectly leads to the desired behavior.

I have been through a certified coach training program myself, and I have never heard of a coach who would say things like "You missed the ball.  Look, there you missed it again."  Or "whatever you do on this shot, don't hit the ball in that water over there"

I'm not sure what the implications of all this are for ontology, but the idea that focusing on errors seems to be at odds with people who are actually leading performance activities.

Makes sense?

On Thu, Aug 14, 2014 at 7:18 PM, Rich Cooper <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>From another news group ([Cognitive Neuroscience Forum]) comes this clip:
                "In learning a new motor task, there appear to be two processes happening at once," says Reza Shadmehr, Ph.D., a professor in the Department of Biomedical Engineering at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. "One is the learning of the motor commands in the task, and the other is critiquing the learning, much the way a 'coach' behaves. Learning the next similar task goes faster, because the coach knows which errors are most worthy of attention. In effect, this second process leaves a memory of the errors that were experienced during the training, so the re-experience of those errors makes the learning go faster."
This argues for the approach I described earlier, i.e., one search for evidence-for facts and rules to consider in the context analysis, and another search for evidence-against facts and rules to consider in the anti-context analysis.

Disagreement heartily appreciated,
-Rich

Sincerely,
Rich Cooper