Re: [ontolog-forum] Types of Formal (logical) Definitions inontology

To: henson <henson.graves@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: andrei rodin <andrei@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Alex Shkotin <alex.shkotin@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 13:12:33 +0400
Henson,

HG:
"Benzene is a good example test case for an ontology language. The idea is to give an axiom set in a logic for the class of benzene molecules.  Then use automated reasoning answer questions about the structure of benzene molecules. For example, one would like to ask in the ontology language the question “whether any benzene molecule has a carbon ring? “... Reasoning on DL axiom sets cannot answer this question correctly..."

But there is another equivalent question, I think DL-ed:  “whether any benzene molecule has a carbon ring with length <13?“

HG:
"However, one can give first order axioms for Benzene which constrain all the models to consist of molecules which only have the correct shape.  This is not a trivial result."

I am sure that Benzene definition is DL-ed too. I am just wating for experts answer. It's summer you know.
​​
Alex

Indeed category theory is a mathematical formalism which is being used for ontology, even in cases where the users are unaware of it. The reasons are straight forward. A category is really a directed graph with a path composition operation and possibly other language constructions. Many applications in science and engineering make heavy use of directed graphs, including John’s bridge example in more ways than one.

Benzene is a good example test case for an ontology language. The idea is to give an axiom set in a logic for the class of benzene molecules.  Then use automated reasoning answer questions about the structure of benzene molecules. For example, one would like to ask in the ontology language the question “whether any benzene molecule has a carbon ring? “ Automated reasoning can give the correct answer only when all of the benzene molecules in any valid interpretation have the structure such as is shown in the diagram :
image: http://media1.picsearch.com/is?8Pu5G3VX2yKV0e-u-4aq4q12Q8DGv_UKZslfRR_RSLM&height=254
Reasoning on DL axiom sets cannot answer this question correctly, as the DL axioms will always have a tree structured model which does not conform to this picture. Remember, the diagram and the axiom set are description templates, rather than descriptions of a specific molecule.

However, one can give first order axioms for Benzene which constrain all the models to consist of molecules which only have the correct shape.  This is not a trivial result. I repeat the comment that  approach separates the logical language used to express the axioms from the logic’s term language which is the ontology language.  The logical langauge is classical first order, the term language may or may not be classical

A category theory can be used as an ontology language by giving FOL axioms for the language constructions such as path composition. One needs a bit more ontology language constructions than a directed graph for this example, but not a lot.  The axioms use two sorts, nodes and arrows. I will call them types and maps. A category theory person would call them objects and maps. Some of this was noted in some of the earlier exchanges with Alex. The axioms for composition are of course partial, as has been commented on before. But as the conditions for composition to be well defined are decidable, there really is no problem with proof theory or model theory.

The axioms for a category or directed graph with path composition can be found in the Lambek and Scott book in the early pages. Of course a category can be very large, but in engineering examples generally have finite models. For example  the benzene description with the right constructions generates a category which has a canonical minimal finite model which looks like the graphs one sees in Wikipedia.

With regard to whether predicates are viewed as a form of classification, I would say yes. But there is an important caveat. There are two logics involved. One is the logic in which the axiom set is expressed which is called the external logic. The other is that in  a category with additional structure such as a Cartesian close category or elementary topos, there is an internal logic. These frameworks have a type constant symbol Omega. An internal formula is a map q:X  → Omega. If Omega reduces to {true,false} then the internal logic looks like the external one. However, one can add truth value constants in addition to true:X →  Omega, and false:X  →  Omega such as maybe:X → Omega. Then one gets a non-traditional logic.  Type theory, and rule systems such as Hilog, use this device of  having an internal representation of higher order logic as terms within a first order presentation logic. The internal logic admits various generalization of classical logic.  The external predicates classify the terms, i.e., syntactic structures. The internal predicates classify things in the interpretation.  As an example of this idea, the external predicates allows one to deduce that “the gun shot hit the target = maybe”. The statement is an internal formulae and the equation is external.

I would modify John’s comment slightly. If you have to ask what it is from the viewpoint of ontology, the worst place to find out are standard text books on category theory. The reason for this is it is usually presented as a theory within set theory, rather than as a first order theory. Presenting topos theory as a theory within set theory obviates ability to serve as an ontology language.

By the way, the signature of the Benzene axiom set, as I would do it, has 3 type symbol constants, Benzene, Hydrogen and Carbon. It also has 12 part maps, and 12 type constructions, and 12 connection maps.  I have not, of course, indicated what the axioms are which are needed for the benzene axiom set.

Henson Graves

-----Original Message----- From: John F Sowa