[ontolog-forum] Distinctive probability spectrum for linguistic usage

To: "'[ontolog-forum] '" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Rich Cooper" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 12:29:44 -0700
I just watched a TV program "Through the wormhole" narrated by Morgan Freeman
where he featured a guy (I didn't get his name) who is looking for a
distinctive linguistic feature that will identify intelligent discourse for
SETI analysis purposes.      (01)

He claims to have found a linear mapping between the different types of
recognizable discreet symbols (words, phonemes, dolphin discourse, all
languages by humans) and that the same angle of 45 degrees of appearance versus
histogram of appearances.  The way he drew it looked more like 60 degrees to
me, but there wasn't any supporting detail that would give samples of that
discourse from various creatures.      (02)

Does anyone recognize this work, know the scientists name, or have references
to the published papers from that work?    (03)

Also, you may remember Zipf's law, which showed empirically that 20 percent of
a language's vocabulary accounts for 80 percent of the "word" usage.  That
graph was not linear, but had some kind of decay, probably exponential.  How do
these two findings get rationalized?    (04)

I have a theory.  It seems to me that there is a layered dictionary that
provides meaning through pattern matching.  That is what I used in developing
Patent Examiners Workbench (PEW), and it worked spectacularly.  In part that is
because patent claims are more rigorously limited by USPTO designated good
practice rules.  But I am guessing it would also work with layered dictionaries
of dolphin squawks, human languages, and possibly even in SETI investigations.      (05)

-Rich    (06)

Sincerely,
Rich Cooper
EnglishLogicKernel.com