Re: [ontolog-forum] Peirce's 1870 “Logic Of Relatives”

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Jon Awbrey <jawbrey@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 19:46:10 -0400
Author : Jon Awbrey    (01)

Dear Ontologgers,    (02)

The blog post linked above brings me to the end of the notes on Peirce's 1870
Logic of Relatives
that I began posting to the web in various online discussion groups a dozen
years ago.  Apart from
that there are only the scattered notes and bits of discussion with others that
I've archived on the
talk page [1] of the collateral InterSciWiki article [2].    (03)

[1]
http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/Talk:Peirce%27s_1870_Logic_Of_Relatives
[2] http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/Peirce%27s_1870_Logic_Of_Relatives    (04)

I rushed through my last few comments a little too hastily, giving no more than
sketches of proofs
for Peirce's logical formulas, and I won't be reasonably well convinced of them
until I examine a
few more concrete examples and develop one or two independent lines of proof.
So I have that much
unfinished business to do before moving on to the rest of Peirce's paper.    (05)

But I'll take a few days to catch my breath, rummage through those old notes of
mine to see if they
hide any hints worth salvaging, and then start fresh, raveling out the rest of
Peirce's clues to the
maze of logical relatives.    (06)

Regards,    (07)

Jon    (08)

Jon Awbrey wrote:
> Hi Gang,
>
> I am spending the year reworking and hoping to finish my commentary on
> Peirce's 1870 “Logic Of Relatives” (“Description of a Notation for the
> Logic of Relatives, Resulting from an Amplification of the Conceptions
> of Boole's Calculus of Logic”) as a series of posts on one of my blogs.
> For anyone who might be interested, the initial post is here:
>

>http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2014/01/27/peirces-1870-logic-of-relatives-%E2%80%A2-preliminaries/
>
> And the rest can be followed upwards from there on the sidebar.
>
> Comments welcome, here or there.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jon Awbrey
>     (09)