[ontolog-forum] Reusable Metadata Ontology

To: "[ontolog-forum]" <ontolog-forum@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Andrea Westerinen <arwesterinen@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 00:47:39 -0400
I tried following the principles that we have been discussing in Track A to create a small, focused, general, reusable ontology (with usage information).

I started with something relatively easy (I thought), which was a consolidation of basic Dublin Core and SKOS concepts into an OWL 2 ontology.  The work is not finished since I have only been playing with the definition over the last few days.  The "finished" concepts are the ontology metadata/documentation (including what I didn't map and why), and several of the properties (contributor, coverage, creator, date, language, mimeType and rights).  The rest is all still a work-in-progress.

It has been interesting creating and dog-fooding the ontology.  I can definitely say that I refined it based on my experiences in using it.

You can check out the ontology on github (http://purl.org/ninepts/metadata).  My "master" definition is the .ofn (OWL functional syntax) file, and I used Protege to generate a Turtle encoding from it.  (I am maintaining the master definition in a version-control-friendly format (ofn), and also providing a somewhat human-readable format (ttl).)  I also want to experiment with different NL renderings that are more readable than Turtle.

I would appreciate feedback.

Thanks.